• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Too much paper feed on Summa!!

touch31

I'm still pretty new to the Summa cutter and trying to learn the ins and outs of it. It's a Summa D140.

I've been cutting 10 ft. panels for about a month just fine. Trying to get the most out of each roll. I had gotten pretty good at estimating whether I could get one more out of it, coming out to less than 10" vinyl on the roll sometimes. Somehow within the past week, something has changed, don't know if by accident by me, or electrical surge during a storm. I now have to have about 4 ft. extra on the roll for me to even get my normal panel. It feeds out more than it needs. The actual pael is not cutting any bigger in the end, it's only while it's cutting that it need the overage. But if it starts and there's not enough on roll it will cut most of it, then feed out more and then run to the end and I have to turn it off. Then of course I've lost the whole thing because it has cut marks on it.

I've tried setting it back to factory defaults and that hasn't helped.

PLEASE HELP!! I hate all of the waste of material.

tanneji

what cut software are you using? In flexi you can tell it how much extra to feed before it starts cutting so it might be one of those accidental settings you changed. is it a constant amount every time or arbitrary?

touch31

This particular job I'm using FlexiExpert 8.5. But I've looked through all of the settings and I can't find anything related to it. Also having issues with it when I use Onyx CutServer, but not the exact same issue. But because I'm having problems with the same cutter on two different computers in two different programs, my reasoning is that it's the cutter itself.

It's not giving me extra feed before it starts cutting. It cuts about half the job then send out about 3' - 4' extra in the middle (like it's checking), then goes back to cutting where it was. I don't ever have extra paper on the actual job. I just need extra paper "while" it's cutting.

Example would be I need 11' of vinyl to cut this particular panel. I have taken it out measured 13', put the roll back on, start it cutting because I know I have enough. It starts cutting gets about halfway through, the feeds out too much paper and CLUNK... end of roll. 13' paper wasted.

RebeckaR

I'm not using a summa cutter, but my plotter has a setting for pre-measuring the material (called auto unroll media on my machine), which means it's feeds out a certain amount and then goes back to cut and then does it again. Check your manual and see if you have a setting like that which has been accidently turned on.