• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tool for cutting backing paper off in the middle...

Spencer McMurtry

does anyone know of a tool that can cut the backing paper off in the middle of a wrap panel? like say i want to take a 5'x20' wrap panel and say i want a 5'x5' section in the middle of the 5'x20' section to have the backing paper taken off. does this make sense?

Thanks!

Gordy Saunders

Nice tool! I've always wished that the backing paper came with a perforated cut line every so many feet. Lots of luck with that thought.
I didn't know they made a tool like this. I'll be getting me one.

many sign suppliers used to stock them for small screenprinters to split the backing on decals...so if there is a glass case in your supply house take a peak and they might have one sitting in there collecting dust..i can think of more than a couple supply companies that have had the same one sitting in their cases for the last 10yrs.

Gordya it wouldnt be terribly hard to send rolls out to a converter and have the backing perforated if there was enough of a benefit in it for you.

cdiesel

If you're just wanting to cut the backing paper in the middle to start a hinge there, go to Walmart or Michaels and buy a gift wrapping cutter. They're like $3 and slide nicely between the backing and vinyl. :)

Gene@mpls

I use the same 3M paper cutter (only not pink)- I put a piece of 'slick tape'
on the bottom. I cut and then fold back an inch and press it flat with a
palm roller- one person can easily hang the sheet in position and then
start the backing peeling down in a roll to start squeegeeing.

MikePro

I just fold the vinyl back on itself, paper side out... and when you make the crease and unfold it, the paper starts to rise off the vinyl on its own in a line... and i slice it with my x-acto.

just gotta use a lil' heat to get the crease back outta the vinyl as u apply.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use an envelope opener/slitter, should be available at just about any store.
Always be careful doign this though.

d fleming

Small block of wood and razor blade. Screw the blade to side of the block leaving only enough sharp edge protruding to cut paper thicknes. Slide across backing paper, peel. Been making stickers crack n peel like that for a long time. Works on pretty much the same principle as your plotter being able to cut vinyl and not backing paper.

W

wetgravy

i have a whole stack of those cheap letter openers that people give away with their business names on it just for this need. I can hook the paper and cut the backing with one hand and still hold the print with the other.

oh and when it dulls ... toss and grab another.

GB2

Old Member
All you have to do is hold the top edge of the liner and rip it, though I also do have those 3M gift wrap cutters and they work well also, as long as you remember to get one before peeling the vinyl back!