Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torn metal effect....??

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Erin, May 23, 2006.

1. Erin

Erin Active Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I'm trying to make a torn metal effect sort of like in the images posted below. I know they are painted on but I would like to make something like that in photoshop if at all possible. Does anyone know if there is a plug in I can get or some tutorials I can look at to get something like that?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    Dunno about a plug-in for the torn metal effect. I too have searched a lot for a tutorial on how to do it on the computer - no luck. I'm having an airbrush guy at a motorcycle factory do me a small metal panel (18x24) of the effect and I'm gonna scan it and go the bitmap route for the torn metal. Then, I'll be able to drop into the inside area any kind of fill/design I want. If ya don't find anything else, send me a mailing address for you and I'll send ya a CD with the file I come up with if that will help ya.

Otherwise, I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody tells ya of an online tutorial for how to create it digitally.

3. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    By the way - forgot to mention - the examples you posted really are not that good compared to what I saw on a regular basis in the custom paint shop at a motorcycle factory. I'm sure the guy doing one for me will produce something really awesome.

4. TC49010

TC49010 Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    I did a search here for the word bullet hole and it brought up a few ideas and websites.
    Heres 1 to see the others etc just do a search here on signs101 and sit back and read and enjoy! Gotta love this place!

http://www.bergendesign.com/cf3demo9.html

Trixie

5. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    My only tip would be....

to NEVER use straight black for shading and drop shadows.
    It looks very dead on tha attached photo.

6. 2NinerNiner2

2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
  7. 3CGraphics

3CGraphics Member

May 23, 2004
    ATL Area
  8. Blazingsun

Blazingsun Active Member

Feb 27, 2005
    [​IMG]

Heres one I did,The Picture really doesn't show it well, The peal back is Black Carbonfiber

9. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    3CGraphics - they are most likely R/C Truck bodies..

have you looked at styles for Photoshop?

Also either Alien Skin or KPT has a tear away plug in for photoshop.

10. Erin

Erin Active Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks for all the replys everyone. I will try some stuff and see what I can come up with. Doug that one you posted is awsome!!

11. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Thanks Erin!

I drew it in response to the similar thread last year. (did you check that link? ...it has some good discussion on this with lots of other good ideas you shouldn't miss)