• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Torn on which machine to purchase. Would love some input!

303DC

Hey all! I'm in the process of purchasing a printer for my business, and I'm torn between two. I'm looking at an HP 110, or an Epson SureColor S30670, with a Graphtec FC8600, and a USCutter heat assisted laminator.

My business is ran out of my home, so 220 outlets aren't readily available, of course. Would I be smarter to get the 220 outlets installed and go with the HP, or should I just say screw it and go with the Epson? Any suggestions on a better setup for a entry level machine like I'm looking at getting into here?

Thanks! :smile:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
What are the main applications your going to be targeting? Also whats your budget? Do you have a laminator?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you zoned and adequately ventilated for such machines inside your abode ?? You and your family should not be taking in the fumes from such machines and if ventilated, you shouldn't be blowing it towards your neighbors. Not having 220 outlets in your home is usually to prevent using machinery not suited to such dwellings.

With respect to the 220v issue, almost all homes in the USA have 220v circuits already present. If you have an oven in your home (or a pool or spa) you almost certainly have 220v. Your cost would be to add additional 220v outlets, which costs generally in the low hundreds from my experience. Your electrician will of course decide the cost.

With respect to the HP Latex versus Epson question, I would counsel you to take a close look at both of their respective brand forums on this site:

Epson:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?308-Epson

Hewlett Packard:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?282-Hewlett-Packard

Also, do not underestimate the value of the support from your chosen re-seller.

Robert M

Printers in Denver

We have used printers in stock at our Denver office, here are a few
Mutoh Value Jet 1304..............54" printer
Mutoh Value Jet 628................24" printer
Mutoh Value jet 1604...............64" printer

we also have several used cutters, Graphtec, Mutoh, GCC,

We are a dealer and all this equipment is serviced by a trained tech

give us a call
Robert
303-733-6671

303DC

Why no Roland print/cut?
The resellers I've looked at don't carry them, unfortunately. The latex machines are really attractive to me, though.

What are the main applications your going to be targeting? Also whats your budget? Do you have a laminator?
Mostly decals and banners, though I will be doing half-wraps and window signage as well. My budget is up to $20k. I do not have a laminator, but as mentioned in my original post, that is going to be purchased with everything else.

Are you zoned and adequately ventilated for such machines inside your abode ?? You and your family should not be taking in the fumes from such machines and if ventilated, you shouldn't be blowing it towards your neighbors. Not having 220 outlets in your home is usually to prevent using machinery not suited to such dwellings.
I have a large home, and the machines will be in a separate office that is well ventilated. This will be such low usage, I think you're really over-exaggerating the kind of fumes I will be generating. On top of that, I guarantee you there are office buildings smaller than where I'll be printing that have no issues. Also, doesn't the latex machine give off next to no fumes/odors? Your 220 argument couldn't be further from the truth. The reason they aren't posted up everywhere in a house is because most typical electrical components in houses don't require 220 other than your dryer, oven, pool, etc. That's all.

With respect to the 220v issue, almost all homes in the USA have 220v circuits already present. If you have an oven in your home (or a pool or spa) you almost certainly have 220v. Your cost would be to add additional 220v outlets, which costs generally in the low hundreds from my experience. Your electrician will of course decide the cost.

With respect to the HP Latex versus Epson question, I would counsel you to take a close look at both of their respective brand forums on this site:

Epson:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?308-Epson

Hewlett Packard:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?282-Hewlett-Packard

Also, do not underestimate the value of the support from your chosen re-seller.
Yes indeed! I talked to a friend that is a certified electrician, and he's going to get me taken care of for a couple hundred. Thanks for those links, I greatly appreciate it!

We have used printers in stock at our Denver office, here are a few
Mutoh Value Jet 1304..............54" printer
Mutoh Value Jet 628................24" printer
Mutoh Value jet 1604...............64" printer

we also have several used cutters, Graphtec, Mutoh, GCC,

We are a dealer and all this equipment is serviced by a trained tech

give us a call
Robert
303-733-6671
Message sent.

Dennis422

I'm home based shop with a HP L25500 running in my basement. Gets a bit hot, but no issues with the fumes.
Also, running Graphtec FC8600-130 and US Tech MVT500 laminator. Everything works well together.

Run a 220 line through your home and get a HP.
Especially if you will have a printer sitting idle for a few days in the beginning until you get regular orders every day.
I went from Solvent to Latex 2 years ago. Will never go back (Maybe bad experience because I had old and slow Mutoh Falcon, new ones should be better)

Good luck.

PS. Look into US Tech laminators. Great affordable machines.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your 220 argument couldn't be further from the truth. The reason they aren't posted up everywhere in a house is because most typical electrical components in houses don't require 220 other than your dryer, oven, pool, etc. That's all.

It's not an argument, but a statement, which I guess you misunderstood. I said nothing about homes not having it for stoves, ovens, hot tubs or normal household appliances, but machinery not meant for in-home use, such as a solvent printer..... or even a latex printer. Do people still put them in ?? Yes, of course they do, but I'll bet ya a nickel, they ain't 100% legal. Once you put printers, paint cans, chemicals or any other supplies to run a business, your home owner's insurance is no longer going to cover your business in there. You will hafta meet a codes inspection, business licensing, insurance inspection, fire inspection and once they find out if you have kids living near this equipment, they will most likely turn you down, unless you lie about your situation.

Again, do people do it ?? They sure do, but if they get caught, you hear about it..... or perhaps, you haven't. It's not nice.

This is not to p!ss you off, but to open your eyes and maybe other people in the same boat as you, trying to finagle things to make an extra buck the easy way. There is no easy way, especially if you get caught. :toasting:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Ok great, don't buy a used solvent printer that's for sure! Get a brand new Latex for under $10k then pick up a laminator and cutter.

APC

In my opinion, the L110 is best suited for a home environment - no special ventilation required, does not require 220 power, efficient foot print - fits up against wall, automatic maintenance - no need for steps such as those featured in attachment, and prints come off printer instantly dry and ready to laminate or cut. Price point is approximately $5,000 less than SC30670.

Click on following link for more detailed info:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/latex-printers/110.html

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Epson-SureColor-S-Series-Maintenance-Guide.pdf
    367.4 KB · Views: 146
  • HP_L110_DataSheet.pdf
    647.7 KB · Views: 179

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would be worried about the 6 month warranty. I can get a Mutoh ValueJet 1324 with take up, starter ink and software for close to the price of an L110. Similar or better speed, better top quality, and a 2 year warranty. Also, the ValueJets have been around and proven for over 10 years. Other than the environmental concerns, I don't see the L110 being a superior machine to a solvent.

APC

...if you don't mind having to perform daily head cleaning maintenance tasks such as the Epson requires, or performing weekly head cleaning maintenance tasks such as the Mutoh, then solvent is the right printer.

Here is common verbiage found in all solvent printer manuals:

• When not using the printer for a long period (one week or more), perform Head cleaning once a
week.
If not performing Head cleaning, the print head is clogged. Doing so will preserve print quality.
• Remove media when cleaning.
Cleaning with media loaded may lead to contact between the print head and media.

When cleaning around the print head,
• do not touch the nozzles of the print head.
Doing so may damage the print head.
• Do not touch the tip of the cleaning stick.
The print head may be damaged because of oil from your hands.
• Never put water, etc on the tip of the cleaning stick.
Doing so may damage the print head.
• Do not reuse the cleaning stick.
The attached dust, etc may damage the print head.

The waste fluid from the printer falls under the category of waste oil (waste ink) of
industrial waste (out of the 19 items of general waste from business activities).
You are obligated to properly dispose of waste fluid in compliance with Wastes
Disposal and Public Cleansing Act and local ordinances.
Delegate disposal to an industrial waste disposal contractor.

As for getting a Roland print/cut device, like the Mutoh - both are excellent printers, by the way, it is a solvent printer. A print/cut device will determine the growth of your business and, at some point, you will experience the print/cut bottleneck such as needing to print a rush banner while printer is in the middle of contour cutting the 500 sticker job. Here is an interesting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU65Sc-nCA4

As for print quality, which is subjective, contact your local dealers for Roland, Mutoh, Epson, and HP and ask where you can submit your own file so you can compare print quality. They'll all want to send you their own printed samples, which is nice to have, but none will be of them will be the same. This is why you must submit your own file! If they hem and haw, then cross that manufacture off your list and move on because this is your business, not theirs. This is a free service they all offer, or should, so you might as well take advantage of the opportunity. Putting aside all the information above, once you compare apples to apples, the decision you make regarding which printer to buy will be the one that best fits your needs, period - regardless of brand and technology.

Robert M

Merchant Members

APC

As a sales rep for an HP distributer you should consult Fred about becoming a merchant member. We all pay to support signs 101

303DC

In my opinion, the L110 is best suited for a home environment - no special ventilation required, does not require 220 power, efficient foot print - fits up against wall, automatic maintenance - no need for steps such as those featured in attachment, and prints come off printer instantly dry and ready to laminate or cut. Price point is approximately $5,000 less than SC30670.

Actually, the L110 still requires 220 power, two of them in fact. It requires the same power as the L310. The cost of the cartridges and life of them versus the cost of the L310 cartridges/life, seems like the L110 isn't that great of a deal. But maybe for an entry level, I guess.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/...119321&docId=emr_na-c04721785&docLocale=en_US

Talking with a buddy, he said we can setup 220 in the area I'm installing it for a couple hundred, though. Not bad. I think I'll just go with the L110.

Last edited: