• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Toshiba print head recovery

growler

Hey community,

I have an Arizona 460GT and have a few nozzles on 1 side of the head dropped out, enough that its annoying me and want to fix it.

Can I do a reverse flush etc while the head is still in the machine, and what fluids am I best to use?
Or should I soak overnight/24 hours resting on a pad soaked with either NMP or ISO?
Without the service key the ability to remove and then reinstall is a complete pain in the butt for registration/alignment etc, so trying to avoid that if I can!
I can buy a new head for round the $500 mark without all the attachments, is that just a simple screw in replacement or do I have to buy one of the $7k jobs with all the other crap on it if I have to replace it.

Would love any input/guides/info you may be able to share with me to try and get this head back to its former glory.

It's an older machine now (6 years) and it has served me very well, but I am loathe to spend $10s of thousands on it when I can turn around and buy a new Mimaki with the same specs for a great price and have a new 3 year warranty etc, not be service locked like the Océ is.

thanks in advance :)

AlsEU

Resting on the ISO overnight is pointless, it will evaporate after 15 minutes and dry pad may damage the head. I wouldn't risk usage of NMP - it may be dangerous for the head itself (for the seal under the nozzle plate). Without the SDS key, you won't set the parameters of the new head, so replacement is not so easy (I've heard, that someone changed the parameters directly in the Windows registry file, but playing with the registry is always tricky and you can't do the "Voltage calibration" this way). Calibrations are done mostly with the scanner and special software, so you could just set the proper mechanical position of the head, but without electronic alignments, printing quality may be affected.
You could try to connect the syringe with the IPA to the ink port and try to flush the head, but be GENTLE - no high pressure, it may damage the head. Of course, it may help or may not... It's even possible that it will be worse afterwards.
These heads are a pain in the *** in terms of cleaning/ultrasonic cleaner and so on.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
although i am a skeptic

try reaching out to print dr (print head dr)

(1) see if there is an adapter for your printhead
(2) can they give any feedback on success rate?
(3) can they recommend a purchaser functioning as a "service bureau" ?
(4) i know they say they have a chemist on staff who works on custom flush solutions, or, at least this was the case

as i said, i am a skeptic,

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i would love to be proven wrong, though

if nothing else, their suggestions for chemistry for a flush might prove invaluable

also find out what they would use as a "transport or storage liquid" after recovery, until the head is back in the machin

i have nodirect knowledge of arizona, is there such a thing as head rank, or similar?
record any such numbers and photograph all 6 surfaces or the head, and id you try this, either flush the head or fill with "transport liquid " before shipping

"first, do no harm"

Superior_Adam

I would be very cautious about using any chemical other than a cleaning solution/flush provided by the manufacturer. Other chemicals could have a reaction to the ink and cause it to harden or gel up. With all of our EFI UV machines we use the flush they have for cleaning the head plates and flushing the head. I would talk to the dealer you got the machine from.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
superior adam
you are right and wrong, i often add a syringe of acetone to my flush solution, just to "tweak" the results a little

if he is at the point he is asking the question, it is time for a risk reward evaluation

i did end my post with "first do no harm"

tollerdad

Been there with our 460GT. Tried everything then got out our checkbook. All head replacements are pricey though.

AlsEU

The only two flushing liquids approved by Canon/Oce are their flush solution and IPA. Any other may affect the head (acetone may be produced from IPA, but IPA is safer for usage, as acetone may damage some plastics).