• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Total drop out on two colors

Does anyone have any idea why a Roland VS 540i would lose two colors overnight?
attachment.php

I've tried auto, choke and manual cleaning. Any ideas are helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

• dropout.jpg
    dropout.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 84
The tech who will actually come out seems to think it's the head based off what I described. I'm still hoping damper, though with the vs540i each damper is actually 2, so it's unlikely that both would stop working in the same way at the same time. Will let you know what it ends up being.

So this is fun- looks like it was originally the damper - when the tech removed the dampers from the head station ink started pouring out - however, that ink then got all over the head, effectively ruining it.
I don't know why they decided to configure the head this way - to remove the dampers with zero chance of drippage you have to take the whole thing out which, to someone who is very nervous regarding anything concerning the head, seems like asking for trouble. Either way I'm down for 3 days.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
A ruptured damper can easily kill a head all by itself.
It happened to us a few weeks ago. Metallic damper in our VS-540 broke, filling the head station with around 50mL of ink, shorting out the electronics on the front side.
Poor design by Roland, and probably not the techs fault. They really should look into putting some sort of protective layer over the circuit board so this can't happen.

A ruptured damper can easily kill a head all by itself.
It happened to us a few weeks ago. Metallic damper in our VS-540 broke, filling the head station with around 50mL of ink, shorting out the electronics on the front side.
Poor design by Roland, and probably not the techs fault. They really should look into putting some sort of protective layer over the circuit board so this can't happen.

Agreed - the older SP540v was set up so the dampers were on the side of the head, not above - a damper replacement didn't even mean a tech had to come out- once you figured out that was your problem you just popped a new one in. No idea why they'd put it on the top like that.