Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Town wants me to pay permitting fee to put their own sign on their property.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by SignProPlus-Chip, Jan 7, 2014.

1. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    The town donated land for a public park project, keep in mind the town still owns the land.

We were tasked with creating a "coming soon" style sign for the project. Keep in mind this type of sign, according to their own codes & ordinances does NOT require a permit as long as the sign in constructed and set in place within certain guidelines. Our sign is in full compliance.

Today marks week #3 of arguing with the town about the sign. See we had full approval, but the old permitting person left and it seems nobody else knows the codes as well.

First we were told the sign still needed a permit package, even though their own rules said we didn't. Begrudgingly, I played along and brought in the paperwork today.

I was informed that we still needed to pay a permit fee and that it could not be waived. That right, an un-waivalable fee for a sign that is not supposed to be permitted in the first place.

The best part is that we are DONATING this sign to a local non-profit organization that are raising the funds for the park. The town owns the land, and wants us to pay for a permit to install a free sign for a town park on town property.

So do I pay the permit fee then bill the town for the fee plus time to deal with all of this?

I need a scotch.

Tags:
  2. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Yes.

3. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    treat them like any other customer who you are doing an install for...

your time = their money

4. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    You would just mark up the fees anyways, No?

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If we do work for the/any municipality, they MUST obtain their own permits. I ain't gonna be going through their petty bullsh!t for them and not passing the buck. I always tell them they are fully responsible. No likey..... no can do-ie. :noway:

Your biggest mistake here is..... it sounds as if you have nothing in writing. You always, as in ALWAYS must get all approvals in writing, just for incidents like this when some bonehead leaves and another numbskull takes his/her place. :rolleyes:

6. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Ahhh, but there is the rub. We didn't need any approval, because it's not supposed to be permitted.

Thankfully, I finally got some phone time with the head planner...problem solved, logic won out, and he gave us immediate verbal approval.

7. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right bonehead to speak to. That said, most of the city planning people in our municipalities are quite friendly and helpful. Most of them seem to take pride in helping small businesses grow in their district.

8. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    I'd still go ahead and have the scotch you deserve it!!

9. knucklehead

knucklehead Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    I was going to say, have a scotch, with the local newspaper person. Maybe, even buy him/her one too. But, since you got a 'verbal approval', everything's gotta be good. Until........

10. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Get it in writing!!! Period. C.Y.A.

11. Laz0924

Laz0924 Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Permit

The Building Official has the authority to waive the permit, I work for a city. Also always ask for the code number so you can look it up.

12. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    yep!

Attached Files:

13. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would drop the whole project and blame it on city and make it public what a**holes you are dealing with. I would personally have NO TIME for this aggravation, especially for a donated project

14. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I'd have just put the dang thing up if I knew the thing didn't need a permit regardless of what some squid said I needed.

15. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    glad it worked out!

I'da simply donated the sign, on the front steps of city hall. They have people, that are paid to be hassled, to put it up with/without permit.