Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade Show displays?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Colin, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Is there one brand of trade-show displays/frames/stands etc that is superior in terms of value/quality/bang for the buck?

Tags:
  2. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Been talking to these guys for a bit. they're pretty good, and prices seem great. They do as little as just giving you the hardware - to even doing the printing for you.
    Also i think most of their stuff is all snap on snap off. So its really easy setup.

http://www.testrite.com/

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    If you want the higest durability and quality and are willing to pay a fair price then you should give this guy a call. Rick 909-917-1562 he can drop his stands from 10+ feet in the air and they open like a champ. The other brands will break instantly.

4. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    give these guys a call, there good...... orbus365.com

5. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

+1 for Orbus, best we've found by far.

6. Orbus. Great products, great customer service.

7. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    And could you recommend someone in Canada?

8. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Ya, Orbus is U.S. only, but my inquiry directed me to this:

http://www.ultimadisplays.ca/

But Toronto only, so there would always be considerable shipping involved. I'll have to do some phoning to West Coast (greater Vancouver) suppliers and see if they carry a good line.

9. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I refuse to deal with companies who are US only!

10. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    POP Displays is nice, they are based in Montreal, their banner stands use a cartridge system so they are super easy to change out!

11. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    This is one thing that I found surprising with the roll-up banner stands that I've seen so far - that you cannot easily change the banner! WTF?

I envision a customer coming back a year later asking for a new banner for their stand, and their mouth hitting the floor when the sign guy says "Sorry, you're stuck with that banner & case forever, you'll have to toss the whole unit if you're done with that sign."

12. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    They are one of the supplier I'm ordering from, but their prices are a bit high. But yes, they offer great service and a ''white label'' web site for their products.

13. Stan B

Stan B Guest

looks like ultima sells orbus products

14. 10sacer

10sacer Active Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Concord, NC
    Trade show

I have researched and bought from many companies in the hardware arena.
    Here is a non-comprehensive list off the top of my head:

Testrite
    Expand
    Mark Bric
    WS Display
    Orbus
    Duo
    Brandstand
    Drytac
    Bowman

If you have done a Google search for "retractable banner stand" - you will get thousands of hits for sites/companies that just resell Orbus products. They all use the same pictures with the same model in them - so don't expect to maintain any price competitiveness with Orbus. Not saying anything bad about them, but if you call them and tell them you have a printer they will make you a dealer and send you the dealer price list. There is very little qualification to be a dealer for them - so everyone carries their stuff.

Places like Creative Banner and Signs+Banners just resell other guys stuff but call them something different.

You have to know what quality level and usage expectations are coming from your clients. If they want to just put a graphic in a retractor and leave it up - you can get a $16 retractor from Orbus (their DFA brand) that will work fine. If you have the need to change out the graphics on a regular basis - your options get narrowed. I recommend styles that have Velcro at the bottom and snap rails at the top. Re-taping graphics into banner stands is not fun - especially if you are by yourself. Really no fun when once a year you let the little key slip out and the whole thing flies back into the stand and you have to take it apart to fix it.

Of all the players - Testrite has the best tradeshow stuff, but a very narrow selection for retractors. Orbus has a nice selection, but remember the caveat above. Expand is top notch stuff and has a graphic cassette system for one or two of their retractors.

I'm not a big fan of buying stuff through distributors - so I try to stay with the guys that actually make the products and will sell directly to you.

I'm sure others can chime in and offer more vendors that I have missed

15. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Thanks for that!

16. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    I've bought a few stands from Vantex Supplies in Surrey. Not sure how much they get used but I haven't heard any complaints (knocking on wood). Prices seem fair.