• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trademark question

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I have a registered trademark on 2 logos, it's time consuming but not too expensive.
You can trademark a name but if you do, you have to prove the industry it's used in and show samples of it used in commerce.

You get a cool certificate from the govt too.

Nice. You should then display this logo with an (R) symbol.

wildside

Are you in the same industries?

are you referring to the companies with the same name as us? then yes

we actually get calls from his area in minnesota, as we have the top domain, but 3 states apart, i know of one in pennsylvania that recently started up, and one here in kansas also a few years ago, but haven't seen anything on them for a awhile now

the name change on our part is more for the hatred of having to spell the name every time and because it was a name that stuck 10 years ago, but is no where near what we really do anyway

keeping the first part of the name and the logo that dan did for us is mandatory, we have already changed the website address we promote and has been much easier to say and no spelling over the phone etc...

i didn't mean to spark a debate over trademark, copyright, servicemark etc.
i have read the differences between all of them, i have even spoke to an attorney over all of it, in some cases it is open to interpetation

basically i am wanting to protect my brand, my image, be it the company name, logo, slogans, whatever

Dan Antonelli

basically i am wanting to protect my brand, my image, be it the company name, logo, slogans, whatever

Which brings up an good point. First, it's obviously great to have a brand worthy of being trademarked. Second, as those who are sometimes tasked to design logos, if you should attempt to build one using clip art, then you and/or your client can never trademark it.

Mark's logo remains one of my favorites that we've designed.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
i have been thinking about doing the trademark of the company name, and i know of at least 2 other people using this same name, if i register it, i can then send them a "stop it" letter?

I've gone through an similar situation. You can send them the letter, but that doesn't mean they will stop. You must be prepared to spend the money to enforce your trademark, or don't bother paying to get one.

Twisted Images

I trademarked my logo for both of my companies as well as my sisters company. They cost 375 bucks each. You can email the USPTO and they will get you in touch with a tradmark lawyer. If you decide to trademark your logo dont be surprised if it gets rejected on the first try.
Trademark a logo and copyright a name is what the lawyer told me. but you can only send a C&D if they are in the same industry or are using your logo and or copyright.
Dont forget to use a disclaimer for color and or font type.