• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trademarking question

decals

I've come up with a product that I have a name for (a pretty good name at that) and I'm thinking I should probably trademark it. The product allows nearly anyone to make a perfect and symetrical pinstripe design every time. Have any of you trademarked a product name before? I think this will be big.

Checkers

The mane would be trademarked, but you may want to patent the process. Neither of which I would attempt without hiring a qualified attorney that specializes in this work. If it's as good as you say it is, it will be money well spent.

Checkers

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A trademark of the name protects your investment in branding the product. A patent makes it difficult or impossible to market a competitive product.

Trademarks can be claimed just by adding the TM mark after the name and complete an dated transaction that would be described as interstate commerce using the name with the TM displayed. That does not cost you anything but neither does it offer any protection if someone else is already using the name in the same classification of goods the patent office uses. It will serve to give you first rights if someone comes along later and uses the name to compete against you. The best procedure though, is to hire an attorney and pay for a search and registration of the name. Otherwise you could spend a bunch of money advertising a name and establishing a brand only to be forced to stop using the name because it is registered to someone else.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I was also curious and did a Who Is on decal.tk. The answer came back as "Unsupported". No slur meant to Decals.TK ... I was just curious.