• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tradeshow Panel Lamination Drift?

SDSignGuy

Hi all I am new to the S101 group here, and I had a project that just came through and I am doing a little follow up on some issues that append in the process. First this was a 8' pop up display that the client wanted to re-use, so we had to verify dimensions and all to get the right sizes. We printed on a 5 mil pvc and the overlam was a 10 mil. On one panel we printed getting the registration was hell, it had almost seemed like the lower part of the panel had been shortened, but the panel was the correct height. I had heard that during laminating there are sometimes issues of shrinking or a change in the print, but this seemed way out of wack, a good 1/8" was off. So i wanted to see if there is a way to correct that for the future and to see if I am crazy.

ova

Agree with Jarby. When we're doing a project with muliple panels, we try to run them the same direction thru the laminator. Found out the hard way if the panel stretches some while being lam'd, the registration marks don't always line up.

Sometimes it depends on the vinyl and lam how much it might stretch.

Dave

SDSignGuy

I kind of see your point, but its real hard to understand how this happens. Is there a way to limit this from happening in the first place?

cdiesel

It usually has to do with tension of the print and/or the lam going through the laminator. Make sure you're using as little tension as necessary to minimize this problem.

I've also seen where somehow during printing/ripping the panels seem to change size a hair. ?? I dunno.

Rooster

Did the panels line up pre-lamination?

Any time I have a panel to panel registration issue it's usually been caused by too much tension on the take up reel when it was printed.