Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tradeshow Panel Lamination Drift?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by SDSignGuy, Mar 24, 2011.

1. SDSignGuy

SDSignGuy New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Hi all I am new to the S101 group here, and I had a project that just came through and I am doing a little follow up on some issues that append in the process. First this was a 8' pop up display that the client wanted to re-use, so we had to verify dimensions and all to get the right sizes. We printed on a 5 mil pvc and the overlam was a 10 mil. On one panel we printed getting the registration was hell, it had almost seemed like the lower part of the panel had been shortened, but the panel was the correct height. I had heard that during laminating there are sometimes issues of shrinking or a change in the print, but this seemed way out of wack, a good 1/8" was off. So i wanted to see if there is a way to correct that for the future and to see if I am crazy.

Tags:
  2. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    maybe the other panel was stretched when you lam'd it.

3. SDSignGuy

SDSignGuy New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    bump

4. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    Agree with Jarby. When we're doing a project with muliple panels, we try to run them the same direction thru the laminator. Found out the hard way if the panel stretches some while being lam'd, the registration marks don't always line up.

Sometimes it depends on the vinyl and lam how much it might stretch.

Dave

5. SDSignGuy

SDSignGuy New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I kind of see your point, but its real hard to understand how this happens. Is there a way to limit this from happening in the first place?

6. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    It usually has to do with tension of the print and/or the lam going through the laminator. Make sure you're using as little tension as necessary to minimize this problem.

I've also seen where somehow during printing/ripping the panels seem to change size a hair. ?? I dunno.

7. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Did the panels line up pre-lamination?

Any time I have a panel to panel registration issue it's usually been caused by too much tension on the take up reel when it was printed.

8. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    It can definately be the tension. Check out how hard your putting it down.