• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Traffic Sign Making: Legality

I've done some research on the manufacturing of traffic signs on this site as well as with D.O.T. but can't seem to find if there is any licensing required in the state of New Jersey to do so. Does anyone know or how to find out, Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine calling NJ DOT direct and asking them would more than likely answer your question.

Here in PA, unless you are an authorized shop, by the state, you can't produce any street signs of any sort for other than private property. Parking lots, inter-state roads, highways, downtown, ADA, residential or commercial properties are all taboo. I can't even put a 'No Left Turn' sign on my own property unless it's approved and gotten at a legit DOT shop.... and we have the knowledge and full capabilities of doing so.

No loitering or no parking on private property we can do all day long.

TwoNine

We've done some signs for both NJ and PA for traffic signs. As long as they adhere to the MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) codes and ASTM reflectivity requirements - and any applicable APWA (American Public Works Assc.) guidelines - then everything is kosher. We did 6700 for PA and about 1500 for NJ. You may also need to get pre-qualified with NJDOT to become a registered vendor first. I know a LOT of states do require at least that to bid on these type of projects. PM me if you need more assistance with this issue. Hope that info helped! (P.S. - They ARE a pain in the A - and bidding is TIGHT on these jobs)

cha88

what about a street sign... any info on doing those? I in New York and have a request on re-doing street signs for the township...

CentralSigns

Most of the hwy sign contracts are bid out. They also have performance clauses. Like they request 125 stop signs and you have 24 hours to fill the order. Some of those contracts can be real sticky. Huge power in the wording of the contracts, where the CEO or managers can be arrested for non compliance within a short time frame. Anything traffic safety is like 24 hours, so you have to have a huge storage area for materials and enough capacity to fill the orders fast.

visual800

I would imagine calling NJ DOT direct and asking them would more than likely answer your question.

I highly doubt that. State workers dont know s***. state workers dont know s*** even when it's their dept and title :ROFLMAO: