• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trailer Application

Tagdog

A friend of ours offered us our first trailer job. We will apply a piece of vinyl on the side of his trailer. Vinyl will be either 3' x 3' or 4' x 4' or something close to that. The good thing is that he is a friend and if I mess it up the first time I'll try again. But I would like to get it right the first time. I have several questions.

He wants this done on both sides.
What do most of you charge?
Should I use a good vinyl with air egress chanels?
What is the best way to put this on? His trailer has rivots.
I have seen a rivot tool in Grimco, do they work?
Should I put it on dry?
Will a big squeegee Work?
I am really flying blind here, but am determined to learn this.
Any help would be great.

Thanks
Signs Up
www.signs-up.com

chopper

if it is a small trailer they are usually screws not rivets, it takes a #2 square drive to remove (they look like torx head screws but they are not)
as far as price it will depend on what material is used
//chopper

TheSnowman

Take the screws out if you can on a smaller trailer, until you are comfortable w/ covering them. Use a 3M or Oracal Control Tac type vinyl, because it's easier, and it's cast so it will last longer. If you use this, don't do it wet, if you use something cheap, then you'll have to do it wet I'd think if it's that big. I've used a big squeegee on a van before, and it worked fine, but didn't have any screws...so I'd say if your willing to throw it away if it doesn't...then give it a whirl and let us know.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Having just failed miserably in my own first trailer wrapping attempt, I would say go for the 3M contral tac or equivalent. Especially if you don't take out the rivets. Have to put it on dry if using 3M. The roller-pro we got worked pretty good if that's what you're talking about.

Some tips I got from the guys that did it after I stripped my feeble attempts off are these:
Keep the vinyl taut. They squeegee'd side to side.
You can use a strip of transfer tape at the top to help you get it started. Especially if you don't laminate
Shade or inside is good - the vinyl stretches so easy when the hot sun hits it (ask me how I know)
When going over the rivets, pretend like they're not there when you squeegee. Then go back over them with some heat and for us, the rollerpro and a squeegee edge.
When (using 3M) you get a bubble just use your finger to gently break it down and and push. As long as you don't force it you can clear up an amazing amount of trouble.

Not that I know much, but I asked a lot of questions when they installed.

Tagdog

Thanks

I'll probably use a good wrap vinyl. I'll take the screws out if I can. What do you do with them when you put them back in so they don't interfere witj the graphic? Wrap them?
Signs Up

chopper

I'll probably use a good wrap vinyl. I'll take the screws out if I can. What do you do with them when you put them back in so they don't interfere witj the graphic? Wrap them?
Signs Up
just put them back in, and leave them, they are usually stainless, and they will look fine//chopper