Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Application

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tagdog, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Tagdog

Tagdog Member

Apr 4, 2008
    We are going to do the sides of a friends trailer. This is one of our first jobs, so we are in the dark. Each side will have a single piece of vinyl between 9sq ft. to 12 sq ft. I bought 3 M control tac but I bought Grimcos 3 mil Overlam called "Eclypse' Do you defeat the purpose of the good cast vinyl with the cheaper Overlam or will it not matter on the side of a trailer?
    I really do not know what to charge. I figured 10.00 - 12.00 a sq ft. ?
    He has screws on the side of the trailer probably every 16" Should I remove and then put back( it's been suggested by other members) or try and go over them? Will the cheaper overlam cause problems?
    I posted about this two days ago, so Im sorry if I'm being redundent. I r just need to give him a price and then we will try and put it on. If I mess it up I'll try till I get it right.
    Signs Up
    www.signs-up.com

Tags:
  2. cumbsign

cumbsign Member

Mar 5, 2007
    The trailer has screws? or rivets? Seems like it would be a huge pain either way ... taking them out or applying over them.
    And sorry no help from me on the overlam ... I don't print. Hope it goes well and hopefully someone on here can give you some insight!

3. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Assuming you're using IJ180C and 3 mil calendered laminate, yes, using the 3 mil lam will defeat the purpose of using a conformable vinyl. It probably will cause you a lot more headaches and potential failure further down the road too.
    I do not worry about rivets and/or screws and apply right over them. However, make sure they're properly cleaned and degreased or the vinyl may not stick.

Checkers

4. RSR571

RSR571 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Do not us a cheep overlam I have seen a lot of jobs that the lam. looks like crap a year after the print was installed. Use 3m 8519 with that vinyl. You can take the screws or rivits out if you'd like, it will make it easier to install but takes some time taking them out and putting them back in. 10-12 dollars a square ft. should be fine but no cheeper than 10. I hope this helps. good luck.

5. Tagdog

Tagdog Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Thanks

I'll return the cheap overlam and buy the 3m 8519.
    :thankyou:
    Signs Up