• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trailer wrap-part of tile off?

cha88

okay this is my first trailer wrap. I made the file as one piece in PS, and brought it into VW... I measured my first panel on the trailer and printed with a .5 inch overlap. Then printed panel #2 with a -.5 overlap to splice together my design... in the attached photo you will see that my text on top of the panel measures up relativley close ( slightly high) but as i worked and squeeged the panel down i seemed to be pretty close on lines #2 and #3... But when i reached the final line (logo at bottom) My alignment was about .75 inch off...can anyone give me any info as to why i am seeing such a difference at the very bottom and not through out my whole panel? Did i really stretch it that much?

cha88

scrapwrap.jpg

cha88

yes i did start at the top...should i be starting from the top or bottom? it is off at the top but not nearly as much as it is at the bottom...

Sign Works

I believe your problem is that you changed to a negative (-.5") overlap on the second panel, keep it at .5" for all panels.

"Deposit Please"

I use oracal as well. I set my hinge in the middle, work towards top, then bottom. I squeggee in angles towards the side edges with medium pressure. I let gravity do it's part.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
On taller wraps like trailer and buses we will usually also use application tape to help prevent stretching, especially in the warmer months.
But yeah - as other said - thats stretching during the install and there are ways to overcome and prevent that.

No idea on versaworks but Flexisign will automatically divide a large wrap up into panels with whatever overlap you specify.

njshorts

are all of the surfaces flat? use 3551 with 210 lam- less stretching. also, transfer tape might help.

HulkSmash

are all of the surfaces flat? use 3551 with 210 lam- less stretching. also, transfer tape might help.

Calendered Lam on a riveted rap? No thanks. Transfer tape on flat service that isnt di-cut...? just making more work for yourself.

Desert_Signs

Just out of curiosity, did you lay it out on the table and check your lineup before you took it out to the vehicle? I'm sure it's stretch, but you'll never know for sure if you didn't check it in the shop.

njshorts

Calendered Lam on a riveted rap? No thanks. Transfer tape on flat service that isnt di-cut...? just making more work for yourself.

don't knock it, done a number of trailers over the years with the same materials- never had a failure. on top of that, i don't see where he said rivet...

also, he's obviously having a learning curve issue. a bit more time spent taping could help.

cha88

Thanks for everyone's reply...My other question is, when laying down a large panel...do you hinge in the middle and work up/ down, or is their more preferred method? Also do you squeegee vertically and keep a straight across pattern, or so you do some other method? I seem to develop some wrinkles that I can't get back out without repositioning?

HulkSmash

Thanks for everyone's reply...My other question is, when laying down a large panel...do you hinge in the middle and work up/ down, or is their more preferred method? Also do you squeegee vertically and keep a straight across pattern, or so you do some other method? I seem to develop some wrinkles that I can't get back out without repositioning?

Center Hinge working up and down. Make sure to take all the panels before you wrap the vehicle, and line them up on the side of the box to make sure they lineup and fit within the bleed. Panel from left to right, make sure a open panel is never facing forward. If a seam faces forward then the wind will eventually lift it.