• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trailer wrap questions

Bill43mx

We're looking at doing a full wrap on a cargo trailer. I'm not sure what brand but picture your typical Carmate or Haulmark trailer with screwed on, overlapping aluminum siding. Question #1....is it standard procedure to cut the vinyl at the point where one aluminum panel overlaps the previous one or is it better to heat the vinyl and conform it to the step? Second question....I know there are differing opinions on the "remove and the reinstall screws" vs "wrap over the screws" method. Which do you prefer and why? And if you wrap over the screws are they just treated like a bunch of small rivets? Can you do screws with or Rollepro or is there a better way? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Mosh

Remove, remove, remove....search this on the 101. Did I mention REMOVE!!!
It is like a #4 square bit....

cdiesel

Don't remove the screws. You're opening yourself up to all kinds of problems if you do that. Learn how to apply vinyl over rivets and use the same method. And yes, you always cut the seams and make sure they are down well.

Mosh

Been removing screws for years (started in 1988) and NEVER had a single problem. I guess if you are a meathead and lose a screw or srtip one out, but I am a professional so not worried bout it. Only beginners try and go over...prove me wrong 5 years from now...if you are still in business!

Custom Bob

I gotta agree with Mosh.
The job looks more professional when you remove the screws and it makes application a hell of a lot easier.
If it's an older trailer, I always take a small hammer and give the screws a couple taps to help loosen them up in case there rusted in the steel frame or oxidized in the aluminum.
Also if you find the square slot striping a little it also helps to give it a couple good taps with the hammer.
Just take out a section of screws at a time where your working.
The other advantage to removing the screws is you can clean and prep where the screws we're and grime and wax may be built up.

grafixemporium

Removing screws is just plain screwball. Wrap over them. There are a few different techniques. Try them all and do what works for you. As for the aluminum seams... cut em. We typically go one step further and print our vinyl panels so the seams are at the aluminum seams... seamless trailer wrap! But hey, I can't go giving away all our secrets now can I?

RobbyMac

I'm with the remove the screws crowd... it sucks, but you just have to work it into your quote... We've had too many release from those small screwheads over time and make the job look like ass.

I am however happy to see there's someone else who prints panel to panel (matching seams on trailers). Damn near all of the jobs we do we do in this manner. It can sometimes be an extra panel or two in material, but makes install a no-brainer.... providing your measurements/panels are correct.

B-RAD Graphics

If I am wrapping ...I do NOT remove... Rollepro all the way!!
If I am doing cut vinyl I DO remove ..to me it looks cleaner and NEVER fails

Bill43mx

Thank you guys. It's about what I figured on the screws, pretty close to 50/50 on remove or cover. Whenever I've done large logos on this type of trailer I've removed and reinstalled the screws so that's the way I'm leaning for the wrap. My only real concern was, because of the full coverage, you could actually wind up with all of the screws removed from a panel at once. Or do you guys take just the top half out, get the top of the vinyl down, replace the top screws, remove the bottom screws, finish the vinyl, then replace the rest of the screws?

And I figured that cutting at the panel overlap was correct but wanted to check with the experts. Thanks again!

kstompaint

If you use the right material, there's no need to remove the screws. The primary reason that I don't remove them is that they detract from the final product. The image just looks like hell with silver dots all over it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personal preference.

No right or wrong way. It's all about how the end product looks and if you can convince the customer that these little silver dots all over the place are or are not considered part of the design.

Of all you guys/gals that remove the screws and then put them back in..... do you supply the end proof with all the screws showing or are you really giving the customer something he/she really wasn't aware of and you just chose to take the easy route and play make believe after the job is done without discussing with your customer ??

Bill43mx

Gino, you say personal preference and there is no right or wrong way. But reading the rest of your post something tells me you don't really feel that way.:wink:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, you say personal preference and there is no right or wrong way. But reading the rest of your post something tells me you don't really feel that way.:wink:

That's what personal preference is. :thumb:

I don't think it looks good, so we don't do it, but that doesn't make it right or wrong.

However, my second statement of showing your customer something that is not accurate... seems that you are misrepresenting yourself on several levels.

njshorts

If I am wrapping ...I do NOT remove... Rollepro all the way!!
If I am doing cut vinyl I DO remove ..to me it looks cleaner and NEVER fails

same... makes for a great finished product.

protip- ask the customer what they'd prefer and be up front with them about the options.

wes70

Curious, if anyone will admit having any failure wrapping over rivets/screws? The reason I ask (for future reference) is that I have yet to wrap a trailer with rivets/screws, but I have removed screws when applying cut vinyl.

Last edited:

Flame

Personal preference. I like to remove them. I remove from the top half, wrap, put back in, then do the same with the bottom half.

I just think it looks more professional but I typically let the customer decide. To date, no one has told me to wrap over the screws :).