• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Training Course

dlndesign

Hi there. So I am considering hiring a few guys from different areas of sign production to assist and train my current staff. As I am considering this the thought that there has to be some kind of training program out or videos that specifically tackle a good amount of information in the running of a sign business. During my searches, I've not found a complete resource that I could tell my guys to use as a reference and to train on different software like flexi or excel. Or just some on technical knowledge of what material to use for different sign jobs.

My question, is there a resource like this? If you could post a link or shoot me a PM.

Thanks so much for any and and all input!

fastmax

Hi there. So I am considering hiring a few guys from different areas of sign production to assist and train my current staff. As I am considering this the thought that there has to be some kind of training program out or videos that specifically tackle a good amount of information in the running of a sign business. During my searches, I've not found a complete resource that I could tell my guys to use as a reference and to train on different software like flexi or excel. Or just some on technical knowledge of what material to use for different sign jobs.

My question, is there a resource like this? If you could post a link or shoot me a PM.

Thanks so much for any and and all input!

sign a rama franchise' do a fast and dirty intro course in florida for new franchisees its pretty basic but maybe they let you buy into it and just do the training so everyone can start with the same base knowledge, for Wraps i would check out justin pate's classes or videos

dlndesign

I have researched ISA good for a article on a topic and how to's as well as sources like sign wharehouse but I would want a bit more showing a comprehensive approach to designing to fabrication.

dlndesign

sign a rama franchise' do a fast and dirty intro course in florida for new franchisees its pretty basic but maybe they let you buy into it and just do the training so everyone can start with the same base knowledge, for Wraps i would check out justin pate's classes or videos

This is a great idea, but I'm not fully onboard with it. Not that I think its not a good way to get base knowledge but I would want something that can be a continuing resource that I can refer back to time and again.

greysquirrel

As far as software training..Lynda.com...you can learn any program from PowerPoint to photoshop...online videos with downloadable content for testing...monthly fee is like $20 or so to access entire site...

software rips...Flexi, Onyx, Caldera all have online videos that you can watch...I would check your local reseller to see if they have an onsite tech to come onsite to train you and your staff...

there are a few really solid techs on the east coast/New Jersey area that have installation, break fix, training and print production experience...it's a great time of year to fly out west...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You mention training your new people, then go on to say.... run a business. In regards to what ?? Production, software, fabrication, selling, quoting...... ??

Most of your questions should be answered by you..... if you are the owner or shop manager. Getting some rather basic basics from a tutorial might help, but there are always exceptions when making customized signs. What area of the business are you directly focusing on for these new people ??

dlndesign

Not a complete solution to everything that you're looking for by any means, but I really like this book, which briefly touches on every aspect of the business. It's essentially a book filled with mini "articles" that can be referenced as needed. I try to read a page here and there every day http://www.amazon.com/Business-Management-Digital-Print-Providers/dp/0944094716

I think you'll find that you need to look at several different platforms to find what you need. We're in the same boat at the moment and are developing SOP's for ALL our processes. We're 4 weeks in and it's still very much a work in progress. These things take time, fine-tuning, and patience.

My advice would be to identify the general areas that you want to train/document, then the specific tasks for each item then start searching. A few hours behind a monitor can yield a ton of information, then it's up to you do tailor the processes to fit your specific needs. Signs 101 is the only resource that I'm aware of that covers 99% of the bases when it comes to running a sign shop. (there are literally thousands of perfect examples of what do to, and what not to do)

In terms of software and equipment training, most manufacturers and suppliers have tons of documents, instructions and videos describing just about every process using their software or equipment. If you can't find it from them, someone here will know.

Other than signing up for a franchise (as mentioned), you've got to do a bit of legwork to get what you need.

Good luck with the process. :thumb:

Pat,
No joke, I have that book on my shelf. You are right lots of references, but not exactly the best resource.

Standardizing our SOP's is just one on my focuses. But my need is to have a mobile and sometimes a on the fly reference. I'm not always in the office and I get calls constantly, so I am trying to offset the need to call me with some sort of standardized training.

Gino,
We have standards in place and I agree that this is what I am responsible for. That's why I am trying to find the best solution to my delima.

Greysquirrel,
Thanks, and yes we do have a Lynda subscription. Wouldn't it just be nice if it could be somewhat focused on signage and graphics?
:smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, you've narrowed it down a little bit. You basically wanna be out of touch and the boys/gals can run things without you or calling you.

Soooo..... again, what are you really focusing on ?? What capabilities do you want these people to have ??

• Run the show
  • Quoting
  • Production
  • Fabrication
  • Scheduling
  • Ordering
  • Office work
  • Clerical work
  • Designing
  • Ordering lunch........

• All of the above

Most things, are on-the-job training and the smart ones advance. Shop managers, or whatever their title is at your place, will take people through the ropes..... then they learn or leave. Others already have some capabilities and can put them to use in your atmosphere. That's why it's important to interview well and be sure someone is somewhat fitted for the job opening. It sounds to me, like you have a bunch of dummies and you don't know what to do with them. Are you feeling like a babysitter and losing your cool ?? I'm being serious. If I'm off-base, sorry, but your questions are so vague, perhaps this is why you need a manual. Maybe you need someone to get through to them so they can learn. Not everyone is meant to mentor or teach.

dlndesign

Gino,
Thanks for asking the question. I know I may not have the best responses, not trying to avoid it, but I am still not quite sure what it is that I will need. After some thought, and budgetary concerns I have chosen to create my own courses based on my experience in working a sign shop.

I would like to train in all the areas you pointed out and more, but it will take months for me to create what I need. So I am starting now. I want to focus on the design aspect first and drill down into the areas that need focusing on. Again I don't have a total structure yet but I am working on that and would like your feedback if it sounds like a good way to teach it.

I think I am frustrated and that this information is sometimes just not available unless you take the time to uncover it, research it and then implement and test it to see if it works.

So this is my focus now and would like to get any and all feedback.

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,
Thanks for asking the question. I know I may not have the best responses, not trying to avoid it, but I am still not quite sure what it is that I will need. After some thought, and budgetary concerns I have chosen to create my own courses based on my experience in working a sign shop.

I would like to train in all the areas you pointed out and more, but it will take months for me to create what I need. So I am starting now. I want to focus on the design aspect first and drill down into the areas that need focusing on. Again I don't have a total structure yet but I am working on that and would like your feedback if it sounds like a good way to teach it.

I think I am frustrated and that this information is sometimes just not available unless you take the time to uncover it, research it and then implement and test it to see if it works.

So this is my focus now and would like to get any and all feedback.

Thanks.

So, you want to hire consultants, business coaches and experienced welders, neon benders and hand painters with a wrap installer thrown in for good measure ??

You're talking in circles. You actually do sound very confused. If you can't verbalize what you want, how on earth could you teach someone, let alone allow a stranger in your place if your communications skills are not up to par ?? Not having good responses is the least of your worries. You need the upfront questions formed for you as you don't seem to know what you want. To me, it sounds as if you want a perfect setup with your employees, but have no clue how to take rookies/newbies and mold them.

If your employees can't follow your techniques, teaching or know-how, perhaps, you aren't doing it right, either. Maybe you should take some time out and appraoch a very successful business person [does not hafta be in the sign industry] and find out what YOUR shortcomings are as to why you can't figure out some of these basic ideas needed to run a business.

Seriously, I think you're either OVER-thinking this or you don't have enough experience to write such an employee handbook on how to do everything. Remember, some people will rebel at doing it all. Most will be better at certain things and not others. That's your job to figure out how to best utilize the people you've chosen to work for you. Being able to do many facets of this industry, doesn't necessarily equate to being a good teacher. Some people are born mechanics, while others are born teachers. Not all great musicians can read music, they're just born naturals. Find out what you do best and go from there. :peace!:

Jean Shimp

We started making our own training videos over a year ago. It is helpful to have these in place even when we do a job that we haven't done in a while, it's a good refresher for best practices. Just buy a tripod and mount your camera or cell phone and start recording on your jobs and tasks that you want to use for training. It really doesn't take much effort and the pay off is worth it. The important thing to have is a way to store these videos so that you can find them quickly on your computer. Otherwise you won't be inclined to watch the video if you have to hunt for it.

dlndesign

Thanks for the feedback.

Gino, I appreciate your honesty. Yes, I may talk in circles, and may not know exactly how to articulate the thing I am thinking about completely. But just going through posting the idea and getting feedback is what I needed to give myself some leg to stand on.

Jean,
Excellent idea and I will be implementing that ASAP.

Pat,
I know its a undertaking, but in the end it will payoff.

dlndesign

The next step for me is to focus on a area that needs help immediately. I can think myself down a rabbit hole all day long. But here are some areas I would like to focus on. If you wouldn't mind letting me know which one you think I should focus on first. Just your opinion will help, but all of them I feel are equally important to tackle.

1. Basic vinyl understanding what's the difference and why we use certain vinyls.
2. Understanding what you can design in a specified time frame.
3. How to take good survey notes, what to take pictures of and what measurements are required.

thanks for everyones input!

dlndesign

Its taken a couple months and a lot of back and forth but I am starting to post videos to YouTube based on my knowledge and know how in Illustrator and Photoshop. I'm attaching links, and would love to get some feedback. They are not long, so nugget size to get to the point of the video so you can start using it right away. It will be apart of a whole course that I am planning on launching by the end of the month.

How to Convert PDF to Vector

Quick Vector Path with Photoshop and Illustrator

Thanks in advance!

David

rjssigns

Our local tech college offers all kinds of courses that are useful to a sign shop. Photoshop and Illustrator classes. Graphic design/display graphics classes etc... The lab currently has Epson aqueous, Roland Eco-Sol, Roland UV, HP latex and HP Indigo printers.

A new wing is being built that will have a dedicated wrap bay. It will work great for the Wide Format class.

Weld/Fab are offered along with many business related courses.

Too bad the OP is so far away.