• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Training?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I recently started at another location which employs the Gerber Edge FX & a gerber plotter. I was able to catch onto everything else I have been assigned to in the past, but learning Composer & Edge software are completely new to me with only a few files worth of experience since I have been there; luckily there was another guy who was a wiz & took care of this function.

Today, I was informed that the guy who was running these machines has left the company, and they are now part of my job...

So, what does everyone recommend for a crash course on these? I am in the Cincinnati, OH area if anyone knows of a training facility or course coming up. Even a good book would help.

smdgrfx

Ask the shop software guru for the Gerber user manual and training guide. There is a training book that came with the software that can get you going with all the basics and some good advanced stuff. All of the command functions are also explained in the help files. I will say that it is a learning Curve if this is your first time. All the short cuts in Gerber software are completely different than everything else out there.

iSign

one tip I'll offer.. I've been using Gerber edge & Omega for almost 10 years now... but I didn't bother learning to design on it & have no regrets for that decision.. I design in Adobe software & import my work into Omega... I re-assign colors to foil colors 7 designate the cut lines... but i'm much faster that way... besides i have employees now, & i can be designing jobs, while they are running other jobs...

jfiscus

Rap Master
Thanks for the tips. Designing in Adobe will help me a lot, as I've been using their "suite" for 12 years now.

I have also located the Omega manuals, so I'll be reading through them.

Tony Teveris

If you are using Omega 2.5 or greater the Omega DVD is loaded with How to vids. Also you may want to visit the Gerber Web site (www.gspinc.com) and browse around. There are lots of goodies there.