• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer Mask Not Holding Frosted Vinyl

rukh03

I have recently come across an unusual problem and I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before or can help me out. The transfer mask my shop gets (R Tape 4050 RLA) has stopped holding onto our 3M Frosted Vinyl. It will hold together until we get to the install site and then the vinyl will either stick to the backing and peel straight off the mask, or it will simply fall off of the mask while I am peeling the rest of the backing off.
At 1st I thought it was a bad roll of mask, so I switched rolls and got the same thing, then I switched rolls of vinyl and still no dice. This has been going on for a couple months now and I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. The transfer mask works just fine with all the other vinyls in our shop and I've tried 5 different rolls of frosted vinyl.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Ben

Jillbeans

I hate to recommend it but have you tried the clear transfer tape for frosted glass?
(absolutely hate to use this stuff and you must apply dry with it)
Could you ask your supplier for a small sample of a few different brands of transfer tape?
There are different grades of "tack".
I've had problems with R Tape conform not wanting to stick to the mylar (I think) backing of SignGold. Not the SignGold itself.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

Maybe they were sent a low tack roll of masking... I know transfer tape makes a very high tac tape

Marlene

a low or medium tac transfer tape won't work. you need a high tac tape. I had the same issue and my regular tape is 3M SCPM-3. I had to buy a roll of a more aggresive tape. once you do that, it will work just fine.