• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer tape for etched glass ?

Jo Hill

Say I wanted to cover a rectangular space, 36” wide by 48” tall, using etched/frosted oracle vinyl, would transfer tape ( R Conform Tape) be required or can I Successfully install without?

another question.. it’s been a while I installed etched glass. Last time I did a large panel I installed it wet. Seems like I was having an issue with the soapy water taking away some of the adhesive on the vinyl making it harder to stick..anyone else have this issue?

ikarasu

If it's just a square... No transfer tape needed.

Yes it's a wet install - it'll be less..sticky to start out of course... But once it full dries (generally 24 hours minimum) it should adhere just as good as without a wet apply... Providing your making your solution properly. Use less baby shampoo, add some rubbing alcohol and it'll be a quicker dry.

If you want to apply dry... The Only one I know of is mactac b free. It used to be only for printed images.. But v2 is also just for plain installs now.

Jo Hill

If it's just a square... No transfer tape needed.

Yes it's a wet install - it'll be less..sticky to start out of course... But once it full dries (generally 24 hours minimum) it should adhere just as good as without a wet apply... Providing your making your solution properly. Use less baby shampoo, add some rubbing alcohol and it'll be a quicker dry.

If you want to apply dry... The Only one I know of is mactac b free. It used to be only for printed images.. But v2 is also just for plain installs now.

thank you for your response.

I also noticed after the wet install there are often “streaks” left behind. Like where water or air is still left behind. Will this evaporate over time, like in the 24 hour period you mentioned?

Reveal1

If a cut vinyl then you'll use paper medium tack transfer tape. After you wet apply, soak tape with your solution and leave it sit for a few minutes, which will make tape easier to remove leaving cut elements on the glass.