Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer tape for etched glass ?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Jo Hill, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Jo Hill

Jo Hill Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Say I wanted to cover a rectangular space, 36” wide by 48” tall, using etched/frosted oracle vinyl, would transfer tape ( R Conform Tape) be required or can I Successfully install without?

another question.. it’s been a while I installed etched glass. Last time I did a large panel I installed it wet. Seems like I was having an issue with the soapy water taking away some of the adhesive on the vinyl making it harder to stick..anyone else have this issue?

2. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    If it's just a square... No transfer tape needed.

Yes it's a wet install - it'll be less..sticky to start out of course... But once it full dries (generally 24 hours minimum) it should adhere just as good as without a wet apply... Providing your making your solution properly. Use less baby shampoo, add some rubbing alcohol and it'll be a quicker dry.

If you want to apply dry... The Only one I know of is mactac b free. It used to be only for printed images.. But v2 is also just for plain installs now.

3. Jo Hill

Jo Hill Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    thank you for your response.

I also noticed after the wet install there are often “streaks” left behind. Like where water or air is still left behind. Will this evaporate over time, like in the 24 hour period you mentioned?

4. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    They should go away with time... 24h is unlikely, but give it a week or so and it will evaporate away eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    If a cut vinyl then you'll use paper medium tack transfer tape. After you wet apply, soak tape with your solution and leave it sit for a few minutes, which will make tape easier to remove leaving cut elements on the glass.

6. Signature Graphix

Signature Graphix Wide Format Printing - Signage - Vehicle Wraps

Jan 18, 2020
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Ive installed massive amounts of Frosted and youre gonna want some Rapidtac.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1