• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer Tape Issues

wallswag

I currently use a GRAPHTEC CUTTING PLOTTER CE5000-60 to make wall decals.

I use oracal 631 vinyl

I am having a very hard time getting the vinyl to stick to the transfer tape I use before sending them out to my customers which is really frustrating me greatly right now since I have a bunch of orders backed up now because of it.

I use this transfer tape: Main Tape PerfecTEAR Plus - Medium
CODE:M-AP-GXP750-24

Also, I recently bought this tape: GXF341 from Main Tape which is low tack.

The only thing I can guess is that my cutter settings are not set good? Maybe the cutter is cutting into the vinyl to much or hard and therfore the vinyl sticks to the backing paper to much and doesnt allow the trasnfer tape to pick up the vinyl?

It's frustrating because it will pick it up in some areas.

Does anyone have troubles with this?

If anyone has any idea what could be wrong or have any tips or anything to try i would REALLLLLLY appreciate it.

THANKS!!

J

john1

I use Rtape 4075 conform and 631 with no issues. Did a 2x18' vinyl and it held and came off fine.

wallswag

Yea I have tried both applying gentle and hard pressure with both transfer tapes..

What I did notice was that the WHITE vinyl from oracal worked PERFECTLY and grabbed every single small detailed piece.. "The design had over 200 small circles and other parts" when I used the clear GXF341 from Main Tape which is low tack.

I'm not sure if its a problem with the black vinyl and some other colors but im adjusting the cutting blade to not put as much pressure while making the cuts and hopefully that will help.. I will let you guys know and thanks for the suggestions and ideas so far. You guys are awesome :U Rock:

J

john1

What i do is have a slight bit of the design cut into the backing paper, Not too much but just enough to see what design was on the backing paper. If you go too deep the backing paper tends to stick to the vinyl when pulled up. This is my experiences anyway.

wallswag

What i do is have a slight bit of the design cut into the backing paper, Not too much but just enough to see what design was on the backing paper. If you go too deep the backing paper tends to stick to the vinyl when pulled up. This is my experiences anyway.

Yea I actually set my settings to where I can barely even see the outline of the vinyl on the white backing paper on the FRONT side and the letters did stick better to the transfer tape this time. I used the low tack clear transfer tape but when I went to put it on the wall it was not sticking well at all.

Next I will be trying the medium tack non clear transfer tape to see how that goes...

And I don't believe I can even see the design on the backing paper.. If so, then BARELY at all..

hmm

4R Graphics

You should be cutting just a little into the backing paper just faintlly. Personally I dont use anything other than medium or high tack especially if it has alot of detail. The low tacks were really designed for people installing contour cut printed graphics that are large or have cutouts in the center of the design. Trust me use a medium or high tack and you will never have this problem again. One thing if you use a high tack and install a large graphic to something like glass be careful when you remove it if you pull hard enough and the paper breaks you can punch yourself in the face its not fun.

lexsigns

One thing if you use a high tack and install a large graphic to something like glass be careful when you remove it if you pull hard enough and the paper breaks you can punch yourself in the face its not fun.
done that! was funny! ( at least I was alone in the shop- never did it again...haha) stick to med tack now- no pun

Mosh

Sending stuff out I "pre-peel" the backing from the graphic after it is taped
but before I trim it to size to make sure all is well. I just use the Transfer-rite med tack
and in 25 year not had a problem.

wallswag

Yea, I adjusted the settings so now it barely shows on the backing paper. I tried with both transfer tapes and I believe the low tack one worked pretty well. I put hardly any pressure on the decal and when i peeled the transfer tape EVERY SINGLE letter was sticking to the transfer tape. Also the medium tack worked pretty much like that but I put more pressure..

The problem I had now was applying to the wall. Is it supposed to be so hard to get the vinyl onto a wall if the wall is glossy?

I'm just nervous and don;t want my customers being upset on how hard it is to transfer the decal to the wall. Even the medium tack was giving me troubles so I don't know which to use...

Any suggestions?

showcase 66

The problem I had now was applying to the wall. Is it supposed to be so hard to get the vinyl onto a wall if the wall is glossy?

I'm just nervous and don;t want my customers being upset on how hard it is to transfer the decal to the wall. Even the medium tack was giving me troubles so I don't know which to use...

Any suggestions?

Your wall prep is the biggest issue if you are having a problem with application. We use 4075RLA for all our vinyl including the 631. Only surface we have ever had an issue with is matte wall paint.

I would suggest getting your technique down before you start sending out your vinyl. This way you can answer any question that may come up.

wallswag

Your wall prep is the biggest issue if you are having a problem with application. We use 4075RLA for all our vinyl including the 631. Only surface we have ever had an issue with is matte wall paint.

I would suggest getting your technique down before you start sending out your vinyl. This way you can answer any question that may come up.

I'm trying new transfer tapes.. I am still sending people what worked best for me.. But I have no problem applying to matte walls. Just glossy with these transfer tapes.

Mosh

Yes you need to be real careful and pull the tape back on it's self.
Apping to drywall is a slow hard, PITA thing to do!

This is why I LOVE all the "wall stencil" shops. In the last 10 years we have had
AT LEAST 20 people try to open shops doing this ...and FAIL!!!. Once they found
out how Pissed the customers get when they try to take the letters off.
You need to know your materials and get in the real world and do the installs and
STOP watching the DUI and HOME networks!!!

BTW, do you tell your customers what a mess it makes to drywall when the take it off?
The local drywall guys love these shops cause it just means work for them!!!

Been there done that...Sent them to Wal-Mart, they sell that crap there!

tsgstl

I think it has very little if any to do with the cutting.
I use main tape exclusively with no problems.
Clear always blows (ok not always) most of it is very low tac making it even hard to mask without it not wanting to even stick to the table or the graphic.

Use a different brand of transfer tape. Main tape is a smaller label try r-tape. You could easily have a old or bad roll and could get another one from the same batch from your supplier.
I wouldn't suggest a hi tac transfer tape if you are not applying the graphic to a aggressive holding substrate. I would much rather fiddle with getting a piece of vinyl to stick to transfer tape then to deal with forcing every piece of vinyl down to a wall because the transfer tape is to strong.

Also pulling the backing off at a sharper angle sometimes helps vinyl stick better.

wallswag

I think it has very little if any to do with the cutting.
I use main tape exclusively with no problems.
Clear always blows (ok not always) most of it is very low tac making it even hard to mask without it not wanting to even stick to the table or the graphic.

Use a different brand of transfer tape. Main tape is a smaller label try r-tape. You could easily have a old or bad roll and could get another one from the same batch from your supplier.
I wouldn't suggest a hi tac transfer tape if you are not applying the graphic to a aggressive holding substrate. I would much rather fiddle with getting a piece of vinyl to stick to transfer tape then to deal with forcing every piece of vinyl down to a wall because the transfer tape is to strong.

Also pulling the backing off at a sharper angle sometimes helps vinyl stick better.

Thanks a lot for the tips and advice! I appreciate it and yea I agree with rather having it place easy on the wall.

hightop

Sign Warehouse has a really good article in their forum on 631and some of the issues you can have getting the design to stick to the transfer tape and then getting it to stick to the wall.

louisb

One thing if you use a high tack and install a large graphic to something like glass be careful when you remove it if you pull hard enough and the paper breaks you can punch yourself in the face its not fun.[/QUOTE said:
i did this but punched myself in the crotch very hard in front of a customer

gabagoo

If the vinyl is old, this can lead to problems.... If you cut to deep, this can lead to problems....

I always teach customers who are doing their own application that you dont pull the pre mask away from the backing paper, rather they lay the graphic down upside down and remove the backing paper from the premask, and the issues seem to disapear.