• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer tape leaves ahdesive on vinyl and substrate

cartoad

Sold some RTA's to a church that they installed on a newly painted sign,
and had the customer call today all bent out of shape. One side went on great, the other side at the 1/2 way point he claims the ahdesive from the transfer tape stayed on the lettering and also on the sign!
Reflective white 3M and 3M SCPS-2 tape. I can't imagine that it is the trasfer tape, as we use it every day with no problems,
Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this to happen?
I figure they did something, but don't know what.

Thanks

Sign_Boy

How long ago was the sign painted?
I would think there might be some issues if it didn't have time to cure properly. JMO

Sign Works

I have seen old Main Tape leave adhesive behind with wet installs, no big deal though really just takes a little time to peel it off.

Mustang Guy

I've had that happen with 2 rolls of clear transfer tape over the last couple of years. Probably old stock left in a hot warehouse causing the glue to release. A royal pain in the butt!!:frustrated:

Who knows what customers do with vinyl when they leave your shop. They could have left it in direct sunlight in a locked vehicle for hours or days.

SignosaurusRex

Hal, I'd say that they left it in a vehicle exposed to the intense heat and sun you experience in your area this time of year. I have experienced the same problem with the same combination of material and mask exposed to intensified heat and sun exposure. How long did they have the product before they installed it? The other problem is that they could have installed it and then left it masked and in a location exposed to intense sunlight/heat. Sounds iffy I know but I have seen it happen.

striper14

I've had that happen when I've used too much water on the app tape after installing and left it too long before removing.The paper peels in pieces leaving a gooey mess. I know some version of transferite was doing that for a while.
I used to buy from a wholesaler who'd sell app tape in any size you'd like but you'd never know the brand. Quite by accident i found some app tape that you could spray with water quite heavily then go install the other side of the vehicle & when you returned it almost just fell of & clean too. Very handy except there was no brand name in the core & the wholesaler had no idea. I had a crusade trying to find out what it was but now i think i just dreamed it. Now i just spray & wait 20 seconds...sigh