• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer Tape leaving sticky residue on the decal

pixelp

Hello. I am having a problem with my transfer tape leaving a sticky residue ON my decal after I remove the transfer tape from the decal upon application. I am using Oracal 651 vinyl and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Main Tape PreView Plus - High Tack Clear application tape. Can anyone recommend what is the best clear transfer tape for the Oracal 651 vinyl. I am at a loss with this. Thank you![/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I've never heard of this problem in our shop to those of many across the country. I don't believe there's gonna be any real answer to this unless you just got a bad roll of tape or something really 'wonky' going on.

CS-SignSupply

Possibly an old roll of tape?

The Maintape 775 will also do this if it gets old. The adhesive will become a bit gooey.

TwoNine

My guess - is old roll. I've had it happen once in High Humidity / High Heat / Old Roll (in Houston, TX)

Try new tape....

-Chad

I have that problem with main tape. In my opinion Clear choice AT-60 is the best clear application tape. Its a medium tack and easy to work with. When I have small coro orders I will actually re-use the same piece of tape for about 10 signs when applying vinyl.

slipperyfrog

I saw this with an old roll that was at the back of the office and go dug up. It was promptly thrown in the garbage.

pixelp

Thanks everyone for your input. I went ahead and tested the Main Tape PreView Plus - High Tack Clear application tape with Oracal 631 and when I remove it from the decal, it does NOT leave any residue, however, it only leaves residue on the Oracal 651 vinyl. Is the problem still that the application tape may be old or is it too high of a tack for the glossy 651 vinyl? Trying to sort this out and get the right transfer tape for the 651.

To Hog wild graphics: Thanks for the recommendation. I will try the Clear choice AT-60. Maybe a medium tack will be better for the Oracal 651.

showcase 66

First off. I hate clear tape. Second it's main tape. I have had brand new rolls leave sticky stuff before. Actually not sure how new they were but only been with me for a couple of days and this was happening. I use 4075 RLA for pretty much everything now. Never had a single problem with it.

Dave67

Same thing here

I've actually experienced EXACTLY this problem. I've been using the combination (651 and this app tape) for about two years now and I KNOW it does this because I've seen it with my own eyes. Have received a few complaints and I'm actually surprised I haven't gotten more,

Will be exhausting my current stock of this application tape and not using it again.

I'm testing a few other brands.