• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer Tape Not Sticking!

prosigner

Hey everyone,

Have a bit of a newbie question for everyone if you guys don't mind! :banghead:

We have medium tack premask that just isn't sticking to our decals. Do we need to be using high tack? Could temperature be making a huge difference?

Would appreciate any input before we buy a new roll of high tack premask.

Thanks!

prosigner

FatCat

Yes, as the weather gets warmer medium tack transfer tape isn't as sticky as it is at cooler times of the year. Switching to a high tack tape will help.

Marlene

I use a medium tack 3M pre-mask and never have any issues and Vermont is humid like the tropics all summer. a good brand seems to work better in all conditions

prosigner

We are using Rite-Media Med Tack, however we are now looking at other brands. Talked to our supplier and they notified us that it is not meant to stick to the backing of the vinyl at all which is one of the main issues we were noticing because it was making it very hard to roll, especially on larger jobs.

FatCat

We are using Rite-Media Med Tack, however we are now looking at other brands. Talked to our supplier and they notified us that it is not meant to stick to the backing of the vinyl at all which is one of the main issues we were noticing because it was making it very hard to roll, especially on larger jobs.

This is where I'd call "BS". Transfer tape has to stick (even somewhat) to backer otherwise it would be useless.
Obviously, it isn't going to stick as well as it will the surface of the vinyl, but c'mon....:rolleyes:

Mosh

Med Transfer-Rite is what I use all year long. Humidity, get a dehumidifier where to apply the tape, then "pre-peel" it and you should be good to go.

prosigner

Hey FatCat, thanks for the advice. The best advice we have gotten is that we should be rolling up with a tube inside to prevent any kinking. If we do it rolling it regularly with the vinyl facing outward then we get major kinks, is that normal? Should we be saying that the roll is a dud?

Also, Mosh, sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "pre-peel". Also, when you use your Rite Media premask do you notice that it doesn't stick to the liner at all when your first applying the premask?

Thanks guys!

Mosh

I lay the taped up graphic face down and peel the back from the graphic. Then when it comes time to install the backing comes right off. I only do this when it is super humid out. Saves a ton of headache.

OldPaint

also IF YOU EAT GREASY FAST FOOD...and then handle the vinyl..............YOU PUT THE GREASE ON THE VINYL.. and nothing will stick to it))))
when i doubt, wipe off the vinyl with 91% alcohol..........

prosigner

Thanks for the advice Mosh, will definitely consider it! However, I'm also wondering if when you put the transfer tape on it all of a sudden isn't sticking and starts to peel off, not sticking, especially on the edges. We try to push it down on the liner but it just comes right off in 4 or 5 seconds.

Also, thanks OldPaint, however no grease in our office! Wish the solution was so simple!