• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer tape residue problem

Colin

I placed some transfer tape (R-Tape Conform series) on some cedar decking in order to paint a door sill. I left it on for about a week for the multiple coats of paint, and when I went to remove the tape today, it left tape & glue residue behind. My first attempt was with water and a car-wash mitt that had a mesh-pad side, but that only got some off.

I next gently tried a small brass wire brush with water (no luck) then the same but with Isopropyl alcohol, no luck.

After thoroughly drying the area, I tried pulling it off with some masking tape, duct tape, and clear wrapping tape - no luck.

Any ideas?

This is expensive "clear cedar" (no knots) which I don't want to damage. It's a soft wood.

Colin

oops - here's a pic....

Attachments

• P1050982.JPG
    P1050982.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 81

Colin

Oh, and I forgot to say that the last thing that was coated on the cedar was Sikkens Cetol SRD (1 or 2 years ago).

CanuckSigns

are you against pressure washing it?
I've neve rdone it myself on a cedar deck, but I have on a pressure treated deck and it got rid of old paint and stain.

signage

I would try some rapid remover in an inconspicuous spot! The SRD is a tranparent stain I do not think that the rapid remover would effect it. But to be sure I would test it first!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I dunno, maybe test some "Goo Gone" adhesive remover on a small spot to see if cedar will react to it.

Don't feel too bad, men have been plagued by problems with "soft wood" since the dawn of time.......

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

I would try some rapid remover in an inconspicuous spot! The SRD is a tranparent stain I do not think that the rapid remover would effect it. But to be sure I would test it first!

My very first thought was to try some RR, but was fearful that it would stain the wood. I just tried it though now, as I was out of ideas, and it did work to a certain extent. I'll have to wait to see what it's like when it fully dries. It'll have to do until next year when I'll do a light sand & recoat with the Sikkens.

Who ever thought transfer tape would do that? Glue is glue I guess.

Thanks!

MikePro

rtape or general masking tape adhesive lets go of the transfer paper when exposed to moisture and becomes difficult to remove when it re-dries, not just on wood but on nearly any surface.
try using a handful of duct tape and dab at it.
the stronger adhesive should pickup the residue with a bit of patience.

MikePro

oops, jumped to post when I saw you using every abrasive option i'd use as a last resort :)
anywho, how about a steamer? I was initially going to say use a handful of wet paper towels to "soak" the area and use a wet sponge to remove. But a steamer could accelerate the process.

skyhigh

sounds like a sander is your next step. I wouldn't try any liquids like wd40, as that would stain the wood I would think.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you try steam you'll raise the soft grain. If you pressure wash you'll erode the soft grain. If you snad it you'll erode the areas where there is no adhesive. None of these is what you want to happen.

Other than trying various chemical solutions, like orange peel, acetone, turpentine, etc, you get to pick at it. If it's gummy you might try an art gum eraser or a ball of dry rubber cement.

Marlene

did you try just soaking it by putting a paper towel over the mess and putting something wet like just water on to the paper towel so it hold it there or even the rapid remover? is it gooey or hard and dried out?

Colin

As I mentioned in post #10, it's pretty much resolved as best as can be. I did try initially to soak it thoroughly with the wash mitt for a few minutes and scrubbed it, but the adhesive was surprisingly stubborn. I guess it was the week of dewey nights and hot sun during the day that cooked it on.

I'm always careful about not leaving masking tape down too long, but never thought that transfer tape would be a problem, and on a smooth surface it probably wouldn't be, but the wood is different.

Lesson learned!

Marlene

transfer tape can make a mess if it gets wet and you don't take it right off. I always figured it was a lot like the glue on a Post-It, not really something that is made to stick. found out the hard way when it got wet on an application years ago. glad you fixed the problem the best you could