• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Transfer tape

Steven Smith

New guy here. Been in business 39 years. For the longest time I used Gerber vinyl with no problems. Switched to Oracal, and now I can't get the transfer tape to stick good enough to just pull the lettering away from the silicone release paper like it did with the Gerber. I have used Transfer rite and r-tape and neither one of them work any better than the other. It doesn't seem to matter how hard I squeegee it (both front and back), they won't pull all of the letters off without coaxing. Very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CA Creative Group

1 man shop
Are you using paper transfer or clear and what tack have you tried, med or high?

I've been using Oracal for over 20 years and for me what works for graphics with small lettering or detail is a med clear transfer. If I go with paper transfer I use high tack. I've moved away from paper and mostly use clear transfer medium tack now though.

Also I find if I cut into the liner it tends to make the graphic more diffcult to release then if the blade only marks but doesn't cut through the top of the liner.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
what about asking your supplier of the oracal what transfer tape they normally sell? obviously high tack is better

am i the only one who almost never uses clear transfer tape?

Jburns

With Oracal 651 and 751 - RT4075 works really well- also check your blade depth- if too deep I e had issues with vinyl release from backing paper

Jeremiah

Since you were not specific on exactly what you are using. Call your supplier and tell them what you are doing. I have Never had any problem
Someone gave me a roll of transfer tape one time. It was So sticky, I tossed it in the trash and never looked back. We use cases of transfer rite and it works great !

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
what about asking your supplier of the oracal what transfer tape they normally sell? obviously high tack is better

I hate clear tape too.
I use rtape 4075 and have some issues getting it to release and have for years. If I decrease the cut pressure then it doesn't weed good. Either let it sit overnight and shrink a bit or flip it upside down and pull the backing paper off (kinda roll it) instead of pulling the tape from the backer.

kheebl

I bought a roll of clear R-tape and hated it, tossed it in the trash, I only use 4075 now

BobM

When I've had that problem it meant that I was cutting too deep and into the backing paper. Been using Oracal for many years with out a problem.