• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transferring Stickers from one release paper to another

whatsinaname

We are manufacturing stickers using vinyls from a certain brand and would like to transfer them (after plotting and weeding) to another release paper that is required by our client.

What is the best and most cost effective method to do this for around thousand stickers a day?

SIGNTIME

Use vinyl that comes with the specified backing paper, if that is not an option then mask as much as you can handle and transfer to required backing by hand or with your laminator, if they are not to be masked then you may want to laminate your vinyl to the required backing paper before you begin printing. Its hard to give you an answer without more info like the material your using, the backing paper specified, the equipment you use and the size of the decals.

klingsdesigns

So let me get this right. Your taking a different material and putting it on a different backing so the customer thinks they are getting something they are not?

fresh

We are manufacturing stickers using vinyls from a certain brand and would like to transfer them (after plotting and weeding) to another release paper that is required by our client.

What is the best and most cost effective method to do this for around thousand stickers a day?

Why not just use the material the customer ordered? You are admitting that you plan on shafting your customer!

TammieH

Plus the extra labor involved

You also risk contamination when transferring from one release paper to another.

chartle

I'm confused can you buy a certain release paper without the vinyl? I thought the release paper and the vinyl are designed to work together.

Also every time I have tried to restick vinyl back on to the release paper even the one that came with the vinyl its never the same as from the factory.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have lotsa little kids out of work over there. Have them do it piece by piece and pay them a dollar a day. With their little fingers and fast pace pf learning you'll get up to a 1,000 stickers a day in no time...... or just hire more kids and pay them all less. Do whatever it takes to get the job out the door for less than anyone else could fathom and you'll keep your company's status quo in tack.

TammieH

Also every time I have tried to restick vinyl back on to the release paper even the one that came with the vinyl its never the same as from the factory.

It will stick the same over time, but I guess that's not the answer you want LOL

TammieH

LOL I was just thinking, I have some slightly used name brand release paper, maybe someone might want to purchase some? Cheap!!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe it is as innocent as needing to go from a paper backer to a clear one.
People always think the worst (and are usually right)......

wayne k
guam usa

whatsinaname

Can't believe how most of you here have over reacted to a simple question and the % of people who want to jump to conclusions. Anyways I am glad that some of you genuinely helped in with their suggestions. Thanks a ton.

We are being supplied black carbon fiber vinyl rolls with an OEM plain liner (see attachment) from a certain make in china by our client which he wants to get it on a branded liner with brand name on it instead of being plain. He is getting it packaged for retail sale under his own brand and wants even the stickers to be with his brand on the liner.

Might be his vinyl supplier wants a high MOQ to get the brand name on it or may be for some other technical reason would have been unable to include the brand altogether. Wanted my question to be very simple. So didn't include all the details. Didn't know I had to explain my business ethics behind it.

We are using an FC7000 to half-cut the stickers. The stickers are stiff enough to be transferred without getting garbled.

We were just looking for a work around to get this job done cost effectively and with minimum labor. Will be glad if someone here genuinely has some suggestions that might help someone being from the same industry. I thought that's how it worked here in forums.

Attachments

• IMG_20140220_113845.jpg
    IMG_20140220_113845.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 137

Bly

You have lotsa little kids out of work over there. Have them do it piece by piece and pay them a dollar a day. With their little fingers and fast pace pf learning you'll get up to a 1,000 stickers a day in no time...... or just hire more kids and pay them all less. Do whatever it takes to get the job out the door for less than anyone else could fathom and you'll keep your company's status quo in tack.

It was a close call but I think this is the most unpleasant post of the day.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Could you run the rolls backer side up through the printer to print the logo then load them into the plotter?
If you can't do it in house you might be able to find someone with a water based printer that could do it.
If the decals are small enough you could gang them into sheets small enough to run through a desktop printer.
Seems like hand transferring a 1000 decals a day to a new backer would be pretty labor intensive.

wayne k
guam usa

whatsinaname

Could you run the rolls backer side up through the printer to print the logo then load them into the plotter?
If you can't do it in house you might be able to find someone with a water based printer that could do it.
If the decals are small enough you could gang them into sheets small enough to run through a desktop printer.
Seems like hand transferring a 1000 decals a day to a new backer would be pretty labor intensive.

wayne k
guam usa

The release paper with the logo is being supplied by the client himself. We are not printing it. Each job would be 24" width (thats the roll width) and around 7" height. The stickers come off quite easily from their original liner. Also there is no issue of dust since our facility is dust free. Is there any way I can use a transfer sheet and get this done job by job? A low tack one may be.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think your best bet would be to exchange the backers before you cut the graphics.
Set up your laminator with the branded liner in place of the laminate.
The rollers would set the new liner better than anything you could do by hand.
Crank a roll through and then plot out the graphics.

If you have to cut first and then try to change out the liner you might try rigging up something similar to this:
http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/44
Get low tack clear transfer tape and stretch it out on some aluminum extrusion with a couple of hinges to hold it onto the table.
If you could get the transfer liner low-tack enough to let the decals go onto the new backer it may work.
When we used to set a lot of multi colored/layered vinyl up we didn't want too much grab from our mask paper we would condition it by rubbing it down with a cloth so that it was not too sticky.
You need enough grip to get the old liner off but not too much to keep the decals from releasing onto the branded liner.
If you wanted to go high-tech maybe a really strong vacuum table......

wayne k
guam usa