• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transformer Art Project

Joe Diaz

Before the copyright police jump me, I've already contacted Hasbro with the idea. I haven't heard back from anyone yet, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't allow us to move forward. The project is completely non profit.

Now that that is out of the way...
Every year our downtown does an art exhibit similar to Chicago's "Cows on Parade", where local artist paint and decorate fiberglass statues. Chicago does cows. Last year we did Dogs to go along with the Walldog event we hosted. This year we are doing cars & trucks.

Being huge Transformer fans, my brother and I wanted to pay tribute to the toys we grew up playing with. So our plan is to decorate our statue so that it looks like a huge Transformer toy. We aren't done with the design yet, but here is what we have sketched out so far:

for_hasbor1.jpg

for_hasbor2.jpg

Joe Diaz

A little bit more about the project. The name Grandviewimus Prime, is a cross between Optimus Prime and "Grandview USA" A film that was shot in Pontiac in the early 80's and stared: Jamie Lee Curtis, Patrick Swayze and C. Thomas Howell. The name isn't set in stone yet though. :Big Laugh

The car and cartoon are going to be yellow so that the match one of the murals we have in town that was painted during the walldog event:
Route66Mural.jpg

vid

....here is what we have sketched out so far:

...sketched?:help:? whatdoyagot ...transformer fingers?

...dam-man, a sketch is a pen or pencil scrawl on a bar nap or the back of an envelope. If you cross terminology-ize sketch and concept drawing like that, you'll be raising the bar too high and put No. 2 Pencil manufacturers outta business... :banghead:

Looks like a great project! ...and I've got so many questions.
  1. What are you using for fabrication?
  2. What's the scale?
  3. Are the projects auctioned at the end of the event? ...to benefit a charity?
  4. How many entries are expected?
  5. Is this event tied into another event/festival/parade?
  6. What do the traditional fuzzy dice dangling from the rearview mirror transform into...

I love the fins on the legs. :thumb:

Joe Diaz

Okay Update time. The car is almost done. I won't post pics of the car itself until we are finished, but here are a few pics of the decals we are applying to it.

The plan has changed a bit. Instead of making the big sign board for the background so that it looks like a giant toy package we are just going to take that same package art and put it on the inside of the windshield above the dash. The reason being is some of the cars that are finished already, that have extra stuff attached, are being damaged by kids playing on the car. The cars themselves are meant to be played on and can take the abuse, but the paper mache "add-ons" that some of the other artist made for their projects aren't fairing so well. Plus this way we don't have to buy extra materials for a nonpaying job.

decals_for_transformer_car1.jpg

decals_for_transformer_cartoon.jpg

decals_for_transformer_cartoon_closeup.jpg

decals_for_transformer_car_3.jpg

decals_for_transformer_car_2.jpg

The box art is a homage to old Generation 1 toys that we used to play with as kids. We even made our own stat decal that looks identical to the ones you would get with the old toys.

The licence plates are where the artist are signing their work. Our plate is supposed to match our Illinois licence plates but with a twist.

As you can see I also added more detail and shading to my original cartoon.

1. What are you using for fabrication?
    The cars were supplied. They are made out of fiberglass and order from a company that makes these statues like the giant Cows in Chicago.
  2. What's the scale?
    The Cars are big enough that kids can sit in them. but not as large as real cars. Think PowerWheels size.
  3. Are the projects auctioned at the end of the event? ...to benefit a charity?
    Last year they were. This time the city is going to display them for a few years... then I don't know. They might auction them off but I'm not sure what the long term goal will be.
  4. How many entries are expected?
    I think we had 15 this year. 3 of them are trucks.
  5. Is this event tied into another event/festival/parade?
    Not really this year. It is for general tourism.
  6. What do the traditional fuzzy dice dangling from the rearview mirror transform into...
    A flail!!! LOL

Last edited:

tanneji

that is really fantastic stuff .... can't wait to see the final product! i'm sure it will be "more than meets the eye" /rimshot haha