• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent Fiberglass Substrate

muledalton

A church is needing to replace a sign that I believe is fiberglass that is translucent and corrugated as shown below. The other pic shows approximately the shape of the fiberglass. I'm guessing the sign is 40-50 years old. They asked me if I can replace the translucent boards with something new and put graphics on the boards for them to update the sign. I'm not sure where to begin for material. I'm guessing the sign is 5' tall by 6' wide. I've got an builder/electrician that will help me replace it I just need to get 2 substrates and the graphics. Any suggestions on the materials that I could use? It would have to stand up to high winds, etc. Sorry for the picture, I got it off of Google street view. Thanks for any suggestions.
fbc.JPG
fiber.JPG

visual800

yeah! they dont use that any longer, replace with a pan face OR a flat lexan face if the sign will allow.

For the life of me I never understood those damn panels BUT they sure did last!

muledalton

Is there any thickness or level of translucency that you would recommend? Here is a night time picture of the sign.
fbc.JPG

visual800

A regular panface should suffice in the white it comes in. Looking at your pics we need some new bulbs!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably a new ballast, too.

You're gonna hafta go there and get accurate measurements and while you're doing that, check out the size opening for the face. Many times, those old faces utilized a very wide gap to accommodate the tops and bottoms in the lips. You'll either hafta shim or retrofit a new lip portion all the way around. There are quite a few aftermarket items you can look into right here on s101 to do the job. Do a little research (search button is your friend) and check out the possibilities.

muledalton

Would any of you'll suggest an online company that could make a couple of lexan panface blanks for me to add vinyl to? I realize that freight will be added to the purchase but I live in the middle of nowhere and would have travel a few hundred miles to get some made anyway.