• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

translucent for non-translucent jobs?

raider

I have several yards of Oracal 8500 translucent vinyl and wondering if anyone has used it for vehicle graphics? I realize its for lighted signs but I don't see any of that type of job in the near future. Just trying to put dead inventory to work.

HulkSmash

I have several yards of Oracal 8500 translucent vinyl and wondering if anyone has used it for vehicle graphics? I realize its for lighted signs but I don't see any of that type of job in the near future. Just trying to put dead inventory to work.

Please, no.

Drip Dry

Why not ?

It may cost a little more, but it will last longer since it's high performance.
The color won't be any different.

raider

that is really my primary question: will longevity compare to an Oracal 751 or 951 as far as color retention and overall durability?

tsgstl

The color would be compromised unless its a white vehicle. I have used yellow over red to create a darker redish yellow in a pinch.

CanuckSigns

like colorado said, it's not the vinyl quality that is the issue here, it the adhesive. vinyl that is made for vehicles has a removable adhesive, translucent vinyl has a permanent adhesive, any guesses what happens when it's time to remove a vinyl with a permanent adhesive from an expensive vehicle?

HulkSmash

I've removed translucent vinyl from vehicles before, and it does take the clear coat off of an OEM paint job.
and depending on the age of the vehicle, paint as well.

Billct2

High performance cast vinyl like Arlon and 3M are made to be removable?

As for using the translucent, I've never done it on a vehicle but have used it
on aluminum signs with no issues, as long as it's a white background.

raider

The "right stuff" has already been ordered. Just trying not to be wasteful. It's ok, may have someone interested in the "leftovers".

GB2

Old Member
Of course you can use it on anything you want, just like any other cast vinyl. The only difference will be the gloss level will be different from regular cast vinyl.