• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent Media

tonywhittier

What do you guys recommend for translucent media for an outdoor application? Also do you laminate it? If so what kind of laminate?

Malkin

Pat White said:
I use Oracal 3850 here.....

Same here for printed, with a matte lam (prefer 3M 8520)
Sometimes I will double-strike the ink, sometimes I'll use a 2nd print on clear layered underneath instead. Depends on the design and their budget.

cgsigns_jamie

I like 3M 3630 series.

For printed graphics I like 3M IJ-3630-20 with the 8520 matte laminate.

To prevent colors from washing out when lighted I print a second set of graphics on clear 3M IJ-3650-114 and then apply the IJ-3630-20 on top. So I have two layers of ink and vinyl for the light to pass through.

J Hill Designs

I like 3M 3630 series.

For printed graphics I like 3M IJ-3630-20 with the 8520 matte laminate.

To prevent colors from washing out when lighted I print a second set of graphics on clear 3M IJ-3650-114 and then apply the IJ-3630-20 on top. So I have two layers of ink and vinyl for the light to pass through.

I do the same, except mirror print on clear 2nd surface - a little more forgiving with registration

Letterbox Mike

We've been having the best luck with Avery MPI2050. Orajet 3850 can have a muddy yellowish/brown tint on white areas when lighted, the Avery seems to stay the whitest.

Laminate with cast matte.