• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent on Valuejet 1604

k6media

Hey guys,

I hope all is well! I was wondering if anyone knew how to print on translucent to get the appropriate coverage for backlit signage so the prints aren't washed out. I have yet to buy the full version of the rip.. I have the Mutoh only Flexi that comes with the machine at the moment.

Mutoh Valuejet 1604

Do you know if there is any way to print translucent properly without the need for buying the full version. As it stands right now with the way that we prepare files we havent' needed to buy the fuill version.

Let me know! Thanks!

Fuzzbuster

If your gona buy one ...should consider onyx production house for building profiles from scratch for special medias:thumb:

just my 2 cents

Have both Flexi and Onyx

Fuzzbuster

If you can tweek profile a existing profile with some kinda similar media ...as a base start ..... Dont know if the basic Scanvec can tweek profiles...... Get a gretamacbeth eye one and git er done

I know Onyx can but anyways ...make sure you save the old profile just in case...:omg:

Good luck.

PartyMatt

We printed some backlit material on a VJ 1204 for a window display. We didn't have a profile for that specific media, so we used the Mutoh One-in-All 720 profile. The ink density and saturation looked fine, but the media seemed to like magenta a little too much. We backed off the magenta channel in Flexi and the subsequent prints looked fine. The color wasn't 100% accurate, but it was close enough. Everyone who saw the prints thought the looked great.

If your customer isn't incredibly picky about color you can try one of the "generic" profiles like we did. Just get some backlit material and play around with it. It really isn't that tough to work with.

Oh, I probably should mention we used the Prismjet Backlit stuff from SW. http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-PRISMJ-BKLT.html At $0.62/sq ft it's pretty reasonable and it seems to take the ink well.

Trimtint

Honest we use "used Temp" onyx poster shop for the 1604 we used a 3m IJ180 720 bi I believe and it came out beautiful on oracal 8510 I believe off the top of my head

Snapper

PartyMatt

and no issues once it was backlit? It didn't look washed out?

Nope. Looked fine when backlit by the store lights. I'd take a pic for you but we just built a wall in front of the window and haven't installed the fluoros for the backlighting yet.

Seriously, just go buy some and try it out. SW has a 26" x 16' roll of that stuff we used for $20. That's more than enough media for testing and tweaking purposes. What's $20? I think I have $20 worth of screwups in any given week.

graphixtogo

Make sure you use the overwrite feature when printing transluscent backlit material to prevent the washed-out look. This setting is in the printer instead of the RIP. I recently refaced an internally lit sign and the print turned out great. I used an overwrite count of 2 with a short overwrite wait time (to speed things up). The ink dried fine and the 2nd ink pass gave the inks the saturation they needed to look good when lit.

On my first attempt at backlit, I didn't know about the overwrite setting. The print looked good coming out of the printer, but when lit up, the solid red background did look washed out and the black wasn't opaque. On the recent jobs, the colors look bright and the blacks are opaque.

gtg

graphixtogo

I'm not positive, but if K6 only has FlexiPrint that came with the printer, I don't think there is an option for the overwrite command inside the software. I didn't even look for it in mine. I just went straight for the settings inside the machine. If full RIP software allows this setting, that would be a better option since you don't have to remember to turn the overwrite off in the machine before the next job! (spoken from experience :doh: )

gtg

PartyMatt

If full RIP software allows this setting, that would be a better option since you don't have to remember to turn the overwrite off in the machine before the next job! (spoken from experience :doh: )

I have a high-tech, proprietary method for avoiding that problem. It is a trade secret, but I'll be generous and share it.

Anytime I set the machine up in a configuration I know I won't want for the next print I stick a hot pink post-it on the control panel with something like "Change the damn settings, idiot!" written on it. If I won't be changing media the RIP computer gets it instead. Works every time as long as you aren't colorblind. :)

randya

http://www2.mutoh.com/public/SAI_Profiles/1204-1604/

There is an Intellicoat Double Strike profile for SBL 7.
Set the printer up for Overwrite Cnt of 2, Overwrite Wait of 2-3 seconds.
Temps around 36/38/45

For other media, pick a 'light' profile, usually IJ180 or a paper and double strike it.
The delay is to allow the ink to dry a bit, (more the coating on coated materials) before the second round of ink hits.