• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent Reflective??

NP_18

I get a lot of request for "ghost" graphics on emergency vehicles that aren't white or black vehicles. Blues, greens, tans, etc.. We typically just throw a pantone book on the vehicle, if it's available, and get a close match and print it on 3M IJ680, is that standard? Is there a translucent reflective out there I don't know about? What does everyone else do? Thanks in advance!

Andy D

That's what I do... I don't think a translucent reflective is possible, you have to have a solid micro prism layer, but I could be wrong...

equippaint

Off subject but why is this new trend even a thing? Isnt the ultimate goal of policing to prevent or end crimes rather than sneak around and catch everything that you can. Visibility is a deterrent so why remove it? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Emergency vehicles too? Stupid.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Off subject but why is this new trend even a thing? Isnt the ultimate goal of policing to prevent or end crimes rather than sneak around and catch everything that you can. Visibility is a deterrent so why remove it? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Emergency vehicles too? Stupid.

Sounds silly to me...either go 100% incognito or be in a marked car... whats the purpose of barely visible graphics.

ikarasu

I believe there's a translucent diamond grade. How good it works, I have no idea... Or even if it works. We've never had a use for it, we don't even have a sample. I just saw someone asking for a sample one day and it peaked my Interest.

4090t. And 3930t for HI. Not really wrap materials... But I doubt you'll find a reflective clear wrap material.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I get a lot of request for "ghost" graphics on emergency vehicles that aren't white or black vehicles. Blues, greens, tans, etc.. We typically just throw a pantone book on the vehicle, if it's available, and get a close match and print it on 3M IJ680, is that standard? Is there a translucent reflective out there I don't know about? What does everyone else do? Thanks in advance!

Many traffic sign companies use EC (electro-cut) film, which is colored transparent vinyl to create traffic signs. They sheet the sign blank in HIP or DG reflective and lay the EC film on top for color. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ilm-Series-1170C/?N=5002385+3294571699&rt=rud

The problem is that it only comes in a very select traffic oriented colors, so it would be hard to match to something. I guess you could print on clear cast and laminate that and marry it to reflective to achieve the same result with different colors. It's a lot of work but may solve the issue.

4090T and 3090T are backlit reflective materials. They are for overhead street name signs that are lit from the inside. During the day they are reflective. When the lights come on at night they show through. They do not show the color of what you put them on.