Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translucent Reflective??

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by NP_18, Aug 26, 2019.

1. NP_18

NP_18 New Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Texas
    I get a lot of request for "ghost" graphics on emergency vehicles that aren't white or black vehicles. Blues, greens, tans, etc.. We typically just throw a pantone book on the vehicle, if it's available, and get a close match and print it on 3M IJ680, is that standard? Is there a translucent reflective out there I don't know about? What does everyone else do? Thanks in advance!

Tags:
  2. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That's what I do... I don't think a translucent reflective is possible, you have to have a solid micro prism layer, but I could be wrong...

3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Only thing I do differently is I use a PMS chart printed from my printer.
    If you can print a chart and plot a hole in the middle of each color on your chart
    & lay that on the hood, it makes it easier.

• Like Like x 4
  4. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Off subject but why is this new trend even a thing? Isnt the ultimate goal of policing to prevent or end crimes rather than sneak around and catch everything that you can. Visibility is a deterrent so why remove it? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    Emergency vehicles too? Stupid.

5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Sounds silly to me...either go 100% incognito or be in a marked car... whats the purpose of barely visible graphics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    They are skirting certain rules about marked and unmarked vehicles. In most jurisdictions, it appears that unmarked vehicles can't make certain traffic or probable cause stops.

7. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    I believe there's a translucent diamond grade. How good it works, I have no idea... Or even if it works. We've never had a use for it, we don't even have a sample. I just saw someone asking for a sample one day and it peaked my Interest.

4090t. And 3930t for HI. Not really wrap materials... But I doubt you'll find a reflective clear wrap material.

8. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    Many traffic sign companies use EC (electro-cut) film, which is colored transparent vinyl to create traffic signs. They sheet the sign blank in HIP or DG reflective and lay the EC film on top for color. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ilm-Series-1170C/?N=5002385+3294571699&rt=rud

The problem is that it only comes in a very select traffic oriented colors, so it would be hard to match to something. I guess you could print on clear cast and laminate that and marry it to reflective to achieve the same result with different colors. It's a lot of work but may solve the issue.

9. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    4090T and 3090T are backlit reflective materials. They are for overhead street name signs that are lit from the inside. During the day they are reflective. When the lights come on at night they show through. They do not show the color of what you put them on.