• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

translucent vinyl question

wes70

I will be doing a 2' x 16' backlit sign. The layout calls for a full yellow background with reverse cut for the lettering to show through. Anyways, it would be easier to handle it in two 8' pieces, instead of one 16' piece. Would the joint be visible if there was a small 1/4" overlap?

thesignguy1986

If it's 50 feet away I think you will be fine but you could always just do a translucent print and run it through a laminator to do in 1 piece.

gbarker

Yes the joint would be visible. Your customer may not care but I'd try to do it in one piece if at all possible. What color will the lettering be? Darker than the yellow? Trap the yellow slightly to ease registration. If it's lighter than the yellow I'd revisit the chosen colors.

wes70

The lettering will green. The customer has two other identical signs that were done by another company 2 years ago. I noticed that the vinyl seems stretched and not level with cabinet itself. I know there will be some stretching with a span of 16', that is one of the reasons why I was thinking of doing it in 2 pieces.

The proper way would be to backspray with gripflex, but I don't have the capabilities or the facility for spraying. Considering the span and the registration of the lettering, not too mention the logo, maybe i should think about having it printed.