• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Translucent VS Transparent

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have some backlit signs that I need to make. It's one color text and one color logo so I was thinking about doing these out of cut vinyl instead of printing. Two only need to last two years and one needs to last up to 4 years.

I was going to print these but since I'm not in a MAJOR rush I was going to order two rolls of translucent vinyl. As you can imagine, no one has anything in stock and I can't really wait WEEKS for this stuff to come in.

Translucent 8500/8800 would be my choice but stock is thin. I can get my hands on transPARENT 8300 but this stuff is different. It looks just like the printed stuff I get.

So the question is, is there a noticeable difference in transPARENT vs transLUCENT if it's all going on a white poly board?

Johnny Best

The 8300 transparent cal has more of a "see through" than the 8500 high performance. 8300 is rated 5 years and 8500 is rated 7 years. If your putting it on white poly the 8300 will be fine and not notice the difference.
Did you try Fellers, usually they will have it stocked somewhere or order direct from Oracal and ship it to you for nothing over $100 order.

bannertime

Reece typically has a good stock of translucent 3M, Gerber, and Arlon. Grimco also started stocking cast BRITELINE translucent and should have it as well.

We use translucent cal (8500) for backlit applications, as opposed to transparent. Transparent cal seems more appropriate for glass applications or any application where you would want to be able to see through, like office doors and windows. Anymore, we do most of our backlit faces printed on 3850 with 290 laminate. You get the same effect as you would using the 8800/8500 but with the addition of an extra level of light diffusion that the film adds, as well as unlimited design possibilities.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We use translucent cal (8300) for backlit applications, as opposed to transparent. Transparent cal seems more appropriate for glass applications or any application where you would want to be able to see through, like office doors and windows. Anymore, we do most of our backlit faces printed on 3850 with 290 laminate. You get the same effect as you would using the 8300/8500 but with the addition of an extra level of light diffusion that the film adds, as well as unlimited design possibilities.

I think you got your model numbers mixed up. 8300 is transparent and 8500/8800 is translucent. ''

I called about that new briteline but it's not in stock just yet here.

I've always used translucent but transparent is more available. It probably just looks washed out more at night VS the translucent.. I duno, I'm going to give it a go and see what it looks like. I got a small 1'x3' backlit sign on the wall in my shop that I'm going to turn the light off and test a little sample.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I used transparent to make these gears in a school cafeteria. Since the cafeteria is darker than the light coming from the windows, they really glow.

ZAB4k7u8fgKl1zC_VKg5qiUiKW1foXcy_7HNQhv8afR92Jjvk4ZpZ3hVzCitf6t-1g-zgDfbWGhMt5FXZiInmVBtiAWrMu_EBAUY_fLk6ihwcih1EosfW7_hSTZZkphyhyP6yXQ5rbU=w1920-h934-no