• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

translucent with matte lam?

ashleighfiddler

Hi folks! The printer that I took over for insisted on using a matte laminate with translucent graphics, and gloss for just about everything else. He said that the matte finish made up for the muddled look of the translucent print. That seemed to be his only reason. Our project manager sticks by it but can't really explain why. Has anyone else heard of this, or is just a matter of correcting printer settings for a cleaner print and using either finish?

ashleighfiddler

Yeah, true about the trans film having a matte finish... that makes sense I'm just trying to get away from switching laminate all the time, and if I can use a gloss uv lam instead of matte on the trans prints, that would save a lot of switching.

Would the gloss lam adversely affect the appearance of the matte print?? I'm thinking no, but thought i would kick it to you guys and see if your combined experience has gems of wisdom... Most of the trans prints are viewed from a distance away so the appearance of the print that we're talking about seems like it would be a non-issue.

GB2

Old Member
Gloss laminate is more of a match to the gloss surface of the acrylic that it is mounted to, while matte laminate is more of a match to the matte translucent solid vinyl that would typically go on a backlit panel. I've used both and though I like the lesser glare of the matte laminate when it is not lit, I don't think there is a perceptible difference when they are lit. I think it's just a personal preference.