• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparencies for 18x24

jiarby

Since I will be cutting black 651 vinyl to make transparencies I am looking for some mylar or film that I can use to mount the vinyl to. An 18" or 24" roll of some .01 clear film would be perfect...

The tip earlier to use glass (or maybe acrylic) sounds like a good idea...with one exception.

I would like to retain the transparency in case of future re-orders. I think that using glass or acrylic will end up being too expensive, plus creating a storage problem. (thick, heavy, breakable, scratchable, etc)

Anyone use a product like this? Would rubylith be affordable?

What should I use to mount vinyl to so we can expose screens to make coros?

Mosh

use the 3m electrocut vinyl - it comes on a clear backer...

I used to do that. The problem is you have to be so careful storing them, the vinyl peels off the backer so easily.

We just get a roll of velum from blick or and blueprint supplier.
That is what we stick it on to shoot bigger screens.

G-Artist

By all means use Ruby. It is made for litho and screen printing and is cheap.

I'd do all my screen print film work using Ruby and my Graphtec if it wasn't for tiny type we run into from time to time which necessitates us buying a film positive which recently got exorbitant.

When you get done, roll it, stick it in a tube and label it.

parrott

If you would like, we could produce film for you and ship it ups. If your interested, shoot me a pm for a price.

Malkin

If you would like, we could produce film for you and ship it ups. If your interested, shoot me a pm for a price.

I think the OP was looking for advice on how to do it himself, rather than looking for a supplier. Also you need to be a merchant member to advertise your services.

jiarby

Yep, I am a DIY'er.... If I wanted to job something out I would just have someone else do the WHOLE job!

parrott

I think the OP was looking for advice on how to do it himself, rather than looking for a supplier. Also you need to be a merchant member to advertise your services.

Wasn't looking to be a supplier, just looking to help out a fellow sign maker.

sjm

Try Sabic Polymershapes. They carry films from 5pt to 20pt and it's reasonably priced too.

Bill Modzel

I buy Automask Amber in 48' x 300" rolls for about $90 from T.Rosmema and Assoc,
(616) 698-8810. Narrower rolls are available but I usually split most of the roll into 24" and keep a chunk for larger positives. It cuts with very light pressure and stores flat or rolled up for future use.
The amber color does just fine for positives, it's just easier to see through than ruby.

jiarby

any part numbers for the Sabin film?? They have a location in Phoenix, but on their website the products looked pretty expensive!

sjm

We're paying around $0.40 a sq. ft in local currency for a 10pt velvet/smooth or smooth/smooth film. I generally ask for it as that when I order. If you shoot me a PM I can look up a recent invoice for a part number.

Chris Lovelady

the rubylith is the best wat to go you can cut it on your plotter just like the Vinyl...and it is cheaper that the vinyl...see there is a small problem with the vinyl and that is the mill thickness...can cause problems with the burn.

we have on some instances we have printed on vellum or transparency for your desk top printer(office supply store) to make the film positive.

Lovelady