Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transparency Gradient

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by JTBoh, Jun 7, 2018.

1. JTBoh

JTBoh Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Possible to assign a gradient from color --> transparency? Option is there in advanced but defaults back to white when transparency is clicked on.

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I would like to know this too!

3. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    DFW
    There currently aren't any options to set transparency for colors in gradients. Why? I really have no idea. You can import AI/PDF files that have transparent gradients. Flexi can render it. If you separate the gradient you'll see that it's a huge black and white gradient mask and a single color gradient with the Shade options 100% on one side and 0% on the other. If you try to duplicate this setup or even try to remask the gradient, it doesn't work. There may be something changed on the Transparency tab, but I've never gotten anything to work. In the help sections, there is nothing about setting transparency, alpha, or opacity as related to gradients. It appears to be a major feature that is missing. It may be possible with addons, or importing Adobe Effects, but I've never spent the time to set that up.

There are ways to set something up so that it appears to have a transparent mask, but I won't go into detail on that. It only works if you're working with solid colors. i.e. black vignette type border or making text fade into the background color.

4. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    It's always been a frustration not being able to create a gradient like that. Always have to jump to PS to make one.

5. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    You can create a color to white gradient and change the blending mode. Not the same and you might have to tweak it but depending on what your doing it might work. You would be better off doing it in Illustrator and importing it in. It's one of the many things I wish that they would work on in Flexi.

6. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Inkscape does with no problem. Just like attached green gradient.

Attached Files:

7. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    And Inkscape is free.

8. Allen123

Allen123 New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Oklahoma
    In Illustrator, in the "Trasparancey" window, change from Normal to Multiply. Read about it on a thread here, actually. I think this will give you the effect you're after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JTBoh

JTBoh Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Yea, I know I can recreate in PS or AI and import... just was kinda confused to as why "a major feature is missing" or if I was missing something. Thanks

10. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Corel too.

11. CamTX

CamTX The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy

Mar 7, 2017
    Granbury, TX
    I reached out to Flexi tech support on this and many other issues I have with the software once. I hit on transparent gradients, poor performance and freezing on heavy vector files, and multiple other issues I can't recall at the moment. The tech sort of laughed at me and said he would forward my concern to their engineering department!

Below is a video made by one of designers on how to import a soft mask into Flexi and how to manipulate it once its there, since you can't actually create it inside of Flexi. He's a little challenged in the verbal department, but you'll get the point.

12. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    DFW
    Interesting. I didn't know you could scale that mask down. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post, but I also had no idea you could successfully change the color once it was imported. Anyway, I think I'll stick to using Illustrator for the heavier design work.