Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transparent background PS to AI...

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by cha88, Dec 1, 2010.

1. cha88

cha88 Member

May 14, 2010
    Watertown
    I am having issues getting my PS work into AI without a white background... in PS i have the background seperated from the image but when in place it in AI it has the white box around the image again...i have tried several things but to no success...

Tags:
  2. spur

spur Member

Jun 4, 2010
    North Carolina
    Save it as a .png file after you remove the background.

3. cha88

cha88 Member

May 14, 2010
    Watertown
    i have tried that and it tells me "could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand the file"

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    did you save it as a psd file? Did you make sure the transparency and not your white background is showing in photoshop? If so, then open the file and click on convert photoshop layers to objects when the dialogue box appears.

I do it pretty regularly...

5. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007

+1

6. cha88

cha88 Member

May 14, 2010
    Watertown
    thank you for your quick replys... i have tried so many things im not sure why that did not work originally... the problem now that the backgroud is not showing...is that i need to add the cutcontour swatch to the outline of the object... but the object has a box around every layer...what is my next move? thanks

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    you have two choices.... go back to photoshop and use the magic wand to select the transparent area... then go to select---->inverse. Then go to your paths and select "make work path" and enter .5 in the next dialogue box. Save your path and resave the file. Now when you import into Illy, that path will also import. BUT... it is probably a little jaggy from the magic wand...

You can then either use the smooth or simplify tools to fix the path in Illustrator. Or... sometimes its easier just to draw the path in AI by hand to begin with.

S

8. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
  9. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    Save the file as .gif that will take out the white box if you have neutralized the background. I do it all the time and that is the easiest way I know how. Just have to save it as an RGB vs. CMYK to preserve the neutrality.

Then just import it into illustrator and your good to go.