• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparent background question?

Greece740IL

HI- I am having trouble taking an image of my own, cropping it and keeping a transparent background. I can crop the image around the edges just fine, but when I export it to use in another program it opens with a white box around the image. Is there a certin file type I should be using? It seems that every type I use it still comes up with the white box. Can someone please help me with this- Thank You in advance.

iSign

I think it would be far easier to help if you state EXACTLY what you need to do, with what, using what, to achieve what end.

Please identify ALL your software, & the finished job & the steps you intend to take... then a solution will be available.

I can think of several already, but have no idea yet which one is worth typing out.

geedub

.gif and .png are the only formats that can be used on the net to see a transparent background. a native format (.psd or .ai) will always show it like it is, you have to tell us the software you're using and what you're trying to do with the file, exactly like doug allan said.

2NinerNiner2

I see in your profile that you are using Corel X3. Make a selection of what you want with a transparent background, and File > Export as either a PNG or GIF. Be certain to select the 'transparent background' check box it the export dialog box. To test it, simply import the file back into X3 and place it on a coloured background.

Last edited:

iSign

now that I'm at home instead of the office, & a litle less stingywith my typing time... I figured this might be for a sign project, rather then a website...

And it could be for a proof, where you want to sumperimpose an image on some clients truck for example... maybe later the art will be vectorized, and cut... or digitally printed and cut.

or maybe this image... and the background that you need to bring into that space where the dreaded "white box" exists... will be worked together into the final piece...

In vector programs, I often cut a hole in the background, so it is actually in front of the image.

In Photoshop, I will often just import the "background" from my vector file, & my "image" can remain in front, with no white box.

Often the image can be "masked" easily in photoshop, using the "export transparent wizard" found under the help menu. This wizard quickly applies a rather crude vector based mask, & exports the file, with mask, in an .eps format, ready to place over a pic of my clients truck for example... or over some additional design elements I am working up in Illustrator. The "mask" contour is often too crude for a final production file, so it may end up consolidated in photoshop... or I may end up creating my own vector based mask from scratch.

giantsfan1951

in corel, if it's a bitmap you're using, just open BITMAPS-BITMAP COLOR MASK. that will open a docker window that allows you to select any color(s) that you want to make transparent.

Greece740IL

HI- yea I guess that I should have been a little more specific. I am using Corel X3, Site Spinner, The Print Shop, & Dreamweaver. I am trying to take a 4 color logo of a customers and make it all black. He wants to use it as a hand out for people's car windows and the like. He dose not want a background, like a traditional printed sticker would be. He wants the negative space to show (a die cut).
When I export the image from corel as a .gif or .png and then import it back into either Corel, site spinner, or anyother program it still has the white background you cannot see the page background color showing through. I do have the transparent background boxes checked and still no success. Is there another setting I may have inadvertently changed to make no images exported from Corel have a transparent background?
Still confused-

iSign

just di-cut it then.

You don't need to worry about eliminating the part of the print that he wants to cut off... you just need to worry about drawing the correct vector shape that you can send as the cut

right?