• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparent backgrounds on PNG's..............................................................................................................

JBurton

Signtologist
So I have a png, character on a transparent background. Is there any way to pull that transparency out to use as a cut line with little or no effort? Using corel or illy.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it were me I would bring it into illy, copy and paste in front, live trace and play around with the settings until it looks like I want, and then expand and clean up any stray points and use the remaining vector as the cut line. But I'm sure there's an easier way to do it these days. It's been a long time since I did that every day.

JBurton

Signtologist
1698183913952.png

I mean, I can trace them, which I started to, but my wholesale ungroup>weld>combine>break apart> repeat process has eliminated some void areas that I lazily selected. I can sure pull it off, but I figure the png transparency already exists, and while not a vector, shouldn't I be able to utilize the 'clear' pixels in some way aside from tracing the existing ones?
Laying it over a box and hitting intersect only intersects the outer picture rectangle.

Ronny Axelsson

Here's one thing you can try if you have Corel PhotoPaint and Draw:

Open your PNG in PhotoPaint, it should come in as an object on a checkered background.
Make sure the object is selected, then go to Mask > Create > Mask from Object (Ctrl+M).
Next step, Mask > Create > Path from Mask.
Open the Paths docker and select your path.
Click the gear wheel icon in the docker and choose Export Path...
Looks like AI doesn't work so I suggest you use CMX instead.
You should now be able to open/import both the PNG and CMX in Draw.

Ronny Axelsson

Here's another thing you can try:

Bring your PNG into Draw. I suggest you duplicate it ("+" on numeric keypad) to keep the original underneath in place.
Open Image Adjustment Lab and move the Contrast slider all the way to the right, and the Brightness slider to the left.
This should create an image that is black and white, and more suitable for tracing.
Delete the black and white image and use the original PNG as a template to fine tune your vector path(s).

MDKAOD

lol fnaf

Open the PNG in photoshop, magic wand the transparent area, invert the selection, select 'make work path' in the Path panel. File > Export > Export paths to illustrator

Last edited:

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
If it were me I would bring it into illy, copy and paste in front, live trace and play around with the settings until it looks like I want, and then expand and clean up any stray points and use the remaining vector as the cut line. But I'm sure there's an easier way to do it these days. It's been a long time since I did that every day.
What is "illy" is that short for Illustrator?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I sent Burton two versions - a path made with photoshop, and a path made with illustrator.