• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparent links are printing with a box.

Joshua Barnes

I've had this issue for years and have never been given an answer that works. I'm printing from a PDF exported from InDesign. On my Xerox, the linked images print fine, but on my Canon 8400, you can see the faded box around the image. The original links are PNG, and I have tried saving them as PSD and PDF, but I still am getting the box around them. Does anyone have a solution?

GB2

Old Member
This is definitely a constant problem that I find there is no one simple solution for and, to make it more difficult, there usually is no way to know until you try to print and see it happening. You say you exported a PDF from InDesign, does that mean you are printing straight from a PDF after it was exported from InDesign or you are printing from InDesign? This is usually a transparency problem that occurs with Illustrator so I'm not quite sure what to tell you. In Illustrator I will usually try flattening transparency, if that doesn't work then I will try Rasterizeing the artwork but most times the file becomes too large for Illustrator to rasterize. When that happens, saving as a PDF and then printing that will sometimes work but if not....I will import the file into Photoshop and create a flattened image there that I will then import back to Illustrator to print. It kind of depends what the artwork is and how the problem is occurring, sometimes you can manipulate only the part you are having a problem with and not need to do the whole file. I find it to be a trial and error process to find a solution and it's always a different thing that works from the last time. I hope someone else can give you a better answer.....

brdesign

Most likely just an issue with that printers software. That used to be a big issue when ripping pdf files in older versions of Onyx, for years my standard procedure for printing customer pdf files was to save them as a .tiff file and print from that. When in doubt .tiff it! that's the quick and dirty solution

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually when transparencies do this in a file it's because the rendering intents are conflicting. A lot of RIPs default to rendering a vector and bitmap with different rendering intents. If your bitmap is above a vector background or something like that, that's probably the case. You can fix it by simply changing the rendering intents to match for both bitmap and vector.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Flattening transparencies usually works in the preflight panel of acrobat.

Biggest problem is you never know if a file is gonna do it until you’re already printing. Used to get this all the time in rasterlink but has never happened in onyx.