• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparent Red Vinyl

AKProbeGT

Anybody know where I can find a transparent red vinyl or film of some sort, preferably something that can be cut on a plotter? I have a older gentleman who is restoring some sort old cabinet. In it are pieces of glass that are covered in a transparent red material. I think they were probably masked and painted originally but if I could find a vinyl or film that would be easier for me.

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 153

G-Artist

What does your vinyl carry?

Would translucent work?

I know what you are looking at and I forget what it is called.
Someone will chime in on that.

AKProbeGT

TransLUCENT won't work. I need transPARENT but can't find it. I bought some red "taillight tint" off ebay thinking that would work but it was just some translucent vinyl.

Billct2

It looks like the red is first surface cut thru clear letters and the whole thing backed with "crinkled" gold leaf?

G-Artist

It has been years since I've seen smalt and the photo isn't all that clear but to me it looks like gold leaf and smalt and then possibly a clear applied on top of it all.

Anyone?

Craig Sjoquist

With transparent signs ... glass was 1st used , letting the light from sun shine through the back before they put in lights.

That looks like crinkled gold leaf with clear glass over and tinted the red areas.

Really nice rich looking effect anyway

AKProbeGT

The original pieces are glass and appear to have been masked and painted with some sort of transparent red paint or clearcoat. The coloring behind the glass is just aluminum foil.

The customer had new glass cut and brought that to me. I wound up using Oracal 8300 Transparent Red. It's a near perfect match. I should have some pics shortly. I going to try and get the customer to bring me some pics of the finished product. These go in some sort of cabinet he is having restored but I don't totally understand what the finished product will look like.

digitalwoodshop

I have a almost Virgin Roll of 3M 1170 Electro Cut Red in 24 inch that is about a year old. If you want to try some, I will trade you for some reflective white down the line. I am always looking for old reflective white.

Let me know how many feet to cut and a shipping address. No rush on the reflective.

AL

threads1

It's a 3-drawer spool cabinet. They were used in general stores across america back in the day. The company was O.N.T. (our new thread). Your customer probably paid around 1k for the cabinet. The drawer front were made of a stained glass will a tin-foil backer.

Attachments

• spool cabinet.jpg
    spool cabinet.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 112