Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transparent silver metallic vinyl?

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by letterman7, Jul 18, 2019.

1. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, one of those. I get more and more requests for ghost graphics on silver vehicles and the departments don't want white. I can print a tinted grey and make it somewhat ok, but I'm looking for other options. I've never seen a true transparent grey or silver, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. Anyone come across something like that?

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Avery made a metallic silver that was partially translucent. It kind of looks like etched glass except it's regular vinyl. Very similar to Briteline's silver but a tad darker.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    yeah.. I'm not sure that a translucent is going to work over a reflective backer. I have some pretty thin silvers here, nothing really "works".

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    ghost graphics on silver vehicle? sounds like you just need a metallic silver or "white" reflective vinyl.

5. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I guess I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish. What's the purpose of the translucent? Have examples?

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What about just a dusted crystal or something.
    Wait, nvm, what do you mean exactly by ghost graphics?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    letterman7letterman7 I think there is a "metallic" effect lam used to add that look to color change wrap films (3m 8900?). I know there are similar products out there too.

8. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

So they are wanting the graphics to be lighter than the color of the car? I would think it would look better with the graphics slightly darker. Then you could use a slightly darker metallic vinyl than the paint color.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    That was my first thought too, but when I was reading the specs it spells out "This is a permanent adhesive laminate, it will damage substrate it is applied to..." so I thought not to suggest it.

10. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    True. Absolutely correct. I was just offering a "possible" solution. I would hope that letterman7letterman7 would do his/her due diligence to find what works properly for the application. Like possibly laying 8900 over a clear PPF? Then cutting the design? FYI, Avery, Oracal and Mactac all have similar offerings.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Still uncertain of the end result we are trying to achieve here... Any pictures of examples?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jay Grooms

Jay Grooms Printing, Printing, Printing......

Nov 20, 2018
    Burlington Wisconsin
    I'm guessing it's for a police department, all the police cars around me have reflective the same color as the car. so they are still "marked" cars, but you can't tell till your headlights hit them.