• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparent silver metallic vinyl?

letterman7

Yeah, one of those. I get more and more requests for ghost graphics on silver vehicles and the departments don't want white. I can print a tinted grey and make it somewhat ok, but I'm looking for other options. I've never seen a true transparent grey or silver, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. Anyone come across something like that?

bannertime

Avery made a metallic silver that was partially translucent. It kind of looks like etched glass except it's regular vinyl. Very similar to Briteline's silver but a tad darker.

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_135625317.jpg
    IMG_20190718_135625317.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20190718_135558432.jpg
    IMG_20190718_135558432.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 229

letterman7

yeah.. I'm not sure that a translucent is going to work over a reflective backer. I have some pretty thin silvers here, nothing really "works".

MikePro

ghost graphics on silver vehicle? sounds like you just need a metallic silver or "white" reflective vinyl.

OADesign

letterman7 I think there is a "metallic" effect lam used to add that look to color change wrap films (3m 8900?). I know there are similar products out there too.

unclebun

So they are wanting the graphics to be lighter than the color of the car? I would think it would look better with the graphics slightly darker. Then you could use a slightly darker metallic vinyl than the paint color.

OADesign

letterman7 ...I know there are similar products out there too.

That was my first thought too, but when I was reading the specs it spells out "This is a permanent adhesive laminate, it will damage substrate it is applied to..." so I thought not to suggest it.

True. Absolutely correct. I was just offering a "possible" solution. I would hope that letterman7 would do his/her due diligence to find what works properly for the application. Like possibly laying 8900 over a clear PPF? Then cutting the design? FYI, Avery, Oracal and Mactac all have similar offerings.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Still uncertain of the end result we are trying to achieve here... Any pictures of examples?
I'm guessing it's for a police department, all the police cars around me have reflective the same color as the car. so they are still "marked" cars, but you can't tell till your headlights hit them.