• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transparent vinyl for printed wall decal?

Cova

Hi,

I am new in this business and I use Roland eco slovent pritner. I would like to print wall decals on transparent matt vinyl.

I'm looking for advice what vinyl is the best for wall decals. I know that Oracal and others have special vinyl fow walls, but it's not transparent.I saw that some cheap wall decals are printed on laminating films, like Mactac 898.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why transparent? And how did clear vinyl come in to this equation?

Drip Dry

Can your Roland print white ?
So how are you going to get the colors without them blending with the wall color.

Cova

Why does it need to be transparent?

I want the labels look good in any color of the walls. I do not want to have limitations in design decals.
Like this example example.jpg
Of corse, it can be done with cuting in print and using transfer tape, but then is more time loosing and price must be higher.

Cova

Temporary or permanent?

I like Oracal 3651 clear w/ 210 laminate for calendered and 3M IJ3650-114 w/ 8518 or 8519 for cast when it comes to clear vinyl, but I can't say I've used either on walls. These both have permanent adhesive so keep that in mind. There are some removable clear vinyls out there but I personally haven't found any that don't curl or shrink back like crazy.

I would trust the cast version more assuming you're going to be printing full bleed then shape cutting.

Tnx, I will look for this vinyl

Cova

Can your Roland print white ?
So how are you going to get the colors without them blending with the wall color.

Nope.
Why do you think that colors will bending with the wall? So far I have not printed on transparency film, so I do not know what the color density of eco solvent ink.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I want the labels look good in any color of the walls. I do not want to have limitations in design decals.
Like this example View attachment 102270
Of corse, it can be done with cuting in print and using transfer tape, but then is more time loosing and price must be higher.

Do you realize that when using a clear film, that you must be able to print white underneath any color for any of the colors other than black to remain true? Otherwise the colors will shift when the decal is mounted to any wall color other than white. Your cyan note, for example, will become green if mounted on a yellow wall.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
That I would simply print on white and contour cut. We do lots of stuff like that. Printing on clear is bad unless it's a solid *dark color...bright colors wash out. Unless you back with white vinyl, or have white ink capability.

Cova

Color density of solvent ink on a transparent media is....well not much. We print tons of graphics on 3651 clear that get mounted on clear acrylic and glass and the only way you're going to get the contrast and opacity you're looking for is by priming with white ink.

One thing I will say however, is that if you experiment with different laminated you can come up with some interesting effects. Try using a matte laminate and see how it affects the finish and opacity. I like Avery DOL 2080.

Let me know if you have more questions we have Roland printers snd work with clear films a lot.

Tnx,

So, mayabe it's not so good idea to go with transparent and solvent ink. Can you sugest me what kind of pritner will be good for printing wall decal on transparent vinyl? Are the UV printers better solution?

Cova

Do you realize that when using a clear film, that you must be able to print white underneath any color for any of the colors other than black to remain true? Otherwise the colors will shift when the decal is mounted to any wall color other than white. Your cyan note, for example, will become green if mounted on a yellow wall.

Yes, I know that.

If I use printer with white ink (exp Roland VS series or Mimaki CJV30), how long I must wait before white ink will be dry for another layer of color ink?