• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transporting an SP540V

Stagecraft

I need to travel quite a distance to pick up a used 540 that I've purchased.
A few questions...
Is it reasonably easy to remove the stand from the printer?
If so I'll be moving this in my Honda Element by lowering all the seats and laying the unit down and securing it with nylon straps.
Any issues moving it this way?
Any special precautions I should take?
Can or should the printer/cutter heads be secured?
Any advice would be appreciated! - Boyd

InkjetAuction

I move these machines regularly... and this is what you need to know...

I do not think that it will entirely fit inside your element. The SP-540V is nearly 8 ft long (95"). It will be hanging out.
It's heavy. 329lbs with the stand. You'll need help.

1. EMPTY OUT THE INK!
    As long as you plan on getting this machine back up within a day or two you should be ok with doing a "PUMP UP" which simply pumps out all of the ink in the print. From the MENU > INK CONTROL > PUMP UP. Follow the instructions on the screen. (Machine will ask you to check the ink waste bottle to be sure it's not too full, then ask you to remove ink carts, then it will pump out the ink).

If you want to be totally safe (or if it will be more than a few days before reinking) then you should do a HEAD WASH which will flush the inklines/heads with cleaning solution before pumping out. This requires four cleaning cartridges... so it's not cheap. MENU > INK CONTROL > HEAD WASH
  2. Once the ink is emptied, turn off the machine's main power and unplug.
  3. Remove the ink waste bottle
  4. If the original waste lines cap is available (black rubber cap) then use it to cap and protect the waste lines . If it's not available, take a good wad of disposable shop towels and fold them up nice to create a little pillow, and duct tape it in place. This will also prevent ink from dripping while you are moving the machine.
  5. Leave the bladeholder in place. Just be sure the thumbscrew is fingertight.
  6. Lock down the head with the head lock. There should be a blue head lock that is attached to the back of the printer with a thumbscrew. This secures the cut & printer carriage and screws into the platen. It only fits one way. In lieu of the head lock, you will need to secure the cut carriage somehow... ingenuity works here.
  7. Transport with pinchwheels up. Remove all of the removable pinchweels.
  8. Next I would use pallet wrap to completely wrap the unit to prevent dirt, dust and wind from getting into the unit.
  9. The printer is attached to the stand with (8) 5mm bolts. Very simple. (When reassembling the machine, please be sure to tighten the rear bolts first, then the front).
  10. That's it. This thing is heavy. Be careful.
  11. Even though inklines should be empty, you should avoid tipping the printer as much as possible.
That's it.

Once you get the printer delivered, give it some time to acclimate before turning on. Remove all of the packing, reinstall the waste bottle (be sure that the wasteline did not retract into the machine) and turn it on. The machine should ask you to insert ink cartridges. If you are queried for inktype, be sure to choose MAX 4 or ECO-SOL MAX. Make sure you have full ink cartridges available. (You can use your partials to begin the ink-up)

Run a nozzle test/print test.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new to you printer.

~E

IvanDD

I have an XC540, any idea where this head lock is? I'm looking for an actual bolt hole?

edit: found it, disregard

Last edited: