• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trapezoid windows

aerial

QCB
We are installing 6 large trapezoid shaped windows from a bucket truck for a local printer. Laminated perf. Our first attempt was aborted because the printer made the prints the wrong size. I attempted to tape up the first piece, and it was way too long. The prints are heavy and difficult to handle. The printer is making them rectangular, and there is too much excess material at the top to handle from the bucket.

I am thinking of making a template of the window top and trimming the top of the print from the ground. I don't know how else I can work the laminated material in to the point. (attached is a sketch of the window.) The image spans across the 4 panels, so I need a little bleed to match them. I don't want to ask the printer to trim them as they already screwed up once.

I am using a double cut knife to remove a strip from the liner (yellotools, Love it). Also bought a big bill collector squeegee for the job.

I read a previous post about using double sided tape to hang the print for lining up. I'll try that because masking tape is pretty useless up there.

I would really appreciate and tips and tricks for this one. I actually bid this one pretty high because I didn't want to do it, and got the job any way.

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 212

bannertime

You've got the right idea about pre-cutting the pieces to fit. Cut about a 1 oversized. Trim to fit on the molding.

On large panel's we'll cut a 6 inch section from the top third of the liner and gently press the graphic on the window to hold it in place. This works easier with unlaminated prints, have never tried it on a laminated print. I'd also attempt to use the knifeless bleed/seam tape.

aerial

QCB
Excellent suggestions. Thanks so much! I plan on doing a wallpaper type seam and taping the joint. The windows are pretty scuzzy with some broken seals, so I am not afraid to cut on the glass.

aerial

QCB
I installed just two windows yesterday. Major disaster. The windows are inset into a rough facade. Masking tape doesn't stick, print falls off. Tried duck tape- too aggressive on the print. It was too hot, I got woozy from standing in sun in bucket all day. I thank God for a rain delay today to regroup.

Lining up a big heavy print by your self while in the air in a bucket is very difficult. I Also have to match seams. Prints are 45" by 81", with an angled top. The only place tape will stick is one vertical side. I tried putting pieces of double sided tape on the glass, but it still difficult to reposition, and the tape tears the backing paper.

I need a way to hold up the weight of the print, and still be able to reposition it. My thoughts are to trim my template from a 2" bleed to zero bleed, for an exact fit, and using the double sided tape after de-sticking it a little. Squeegee carefully to keep it running straight. I am really liking my bill collector squeegee.

I would love to buy a beer for anyone who can help me out of this dilemma.

If I ever do another job like this I will demand the boss puts a 2 man platform on the big bucket truck!