• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Travel Rates

CentralSigns

I was just curious about how some of you guys are charging travel rates. Our bucket truck rate 1 person is $100 per hour, 1 hr min. Bucket truck plus ground hepler is $145 hr. We we travel a bit, some times several hours, to get from job to job and occasionally on some bigger jobs 5-6 hrs. In the past we have been charging 1/2 rate plus 60 cents a mile. I just don't think we are charging enough. What do some of you guys charge? We are looking to formalise our travel rates and aren't sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

rjssigns

We don't have a bucket truck just a regular truck and station wagon. 40 bucks flat rate in town. Anything else gets charged at 45 per hour one hour minimum.

When we travel I'm always thinking fuel, tires, oil changes, insurance, maintenance, chow stops etc...(makes my head hurt)

J Hill Designs

hourly no matter what. I wont charge a lower rate for drive time. If my guy aint driving he could be working. opportunity cost.

SolitaryT

I go by the book, $72 minimal install charge, $38 for a trip charge within ten miles, $2/mile after 10.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's one price to get the bucket out. But for surveys and other quickie stuff, we're $185 for the first hour and $155 for every additional hour needed.... in 1 hour increments. Like mentioned, travel time is treated the same as work time.
If we're using a regular truck, then we're at $135 the first hour and so on after that. If a second man is needed, it goes up an additional $85 per hour. That goes for the bucket truck, too.

When I take it home for my own use, that's a different story.... or if neighbors and whatnot need it.

CentralSigns

I can see I'm really not charging enough. Thanks for your rates Gino, is your truck a bigger one, 40 plus feet, the rate you are able to charge is huge compared to here. Being light on the rates has been good for us thought, as I have been able to get all the local work with it, hopefully I'll keep it all when I tap the rates up. What are some of the other rates per hour out there?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can see I'm really not charging enough. Thanks for your rates Gino, is your truck a bigger one, 40 plus feet, the rate you are able to charge is huge compared to here. Being light on the rates has been good for us thought, as I have been able to get all the local work with it, hopefully I'll keep it all when I tap the rates up. What are some of the other rates per hour out there?

No, it's not a large one. 32' reach. My philosophy is different. Either I'm old and don't give a sh!t or I just don't work for peanuts.

If I'm gonna have it, it's on my terms. Just keeping it busy is not my main concern. I don't wanna be known for having cheap rates and being busy doing a lotta crap. I just don't wanna be out working for less money in the hot sun or cold wintery winds for $75 an hour. It's has to be worth our while to be out there.

Had a guy about 2 weeks ago, ask me to come down and help him with some faces he miscalculated on. He told me his predicament. I hadda travel almost an hour away to do 2 hours worth of work and then come back, so I'd be gone about 4 to 5 hours. He said, I'll give you $65 an hour including your travel time. I gave him the name of 2 other local guys and said, I can't touch it for that. He laughed and asked how do you get those prices....?? I said, I say them and if they need me bad enough, I go, otherwise, I'm gonna be doing something I want for more money with both feet planted on the ground. It's a tool and it doesn't come cheaply.

If you are happy working for $50, $65 or $75 an hour under all kindsa conditions, more power to you, but we're doing enough regular signwork, I don't hafta sell myself cheap.

Remember, when you get all the jobs, your rates are most definitely too cheap. That's why they're all coming to you. Put them up where they belong and you won't be as busy, but now you'll be getting paid close to the same without as much time invested and more time to do other things. It's a win/win situation for you.

shoresigns

hourly no matter what. I wont charge a lower rate for drive time. If my guy aint driving he could be working. opportunity cost.

That's how we charge as well. Say you have X amount of billable hours in a month. One month you do installs nearby, the next month you do some more remote installs. You don't want to make less money on the jobs that are further away