• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tricks to designing this wrap?

sheitmar

Anyone have any tips on how to design a wrap that will go from one side over the hood to the other side in one seamless design? I design in 2D each side then the hood last but not sure how to tackle something that continues seamlessly. I usually try to fade to a solid colour or add an obvious break. Would masking the area and either drawing or pinstriping some lines to get the shape work?

The best solution I've been able to brainstorm is to do the hood first, have two oversized pieces for each quarter panel that I can match to the hood design. From there I'd either line up the rest of the side designs to the quarter panels, the seam would land at the front door jam, or maybe make an obvious break in the design there so I don't have to worry about it lining up perfect with the rest... Does that even make sense?

Attached is a design my customer came to me with as inspiration.

Thoughts??

Edited to remove off-site photo.

Attachments

• 2010-BMW-M3-GT2-Art-Car-by-Jeff-Koons-Front-1280x960.jpg
    2010-BMW-M3-GT2-Art-Car-by-Jeff-Koons-Front-1280x960.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

ScrapWrapper

I would recommend creating a paper template of each panel of the car. Then create a template from the true sized and accurate panels to allow your lines to flow correctly and be able to print with extra vinyl for the seems.

mnapuran

You could also cheat... any of the lines that cross over all the panels could be printed and applied separate from the base wrap.

mgcustomgraphics

Use template software, badwrap for example its not that expencive It will do the work for you, all you do is make the design and when its done It will lay It out for you to just print It out

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
About the only way I can see pulling that off just right would be to print and apply the sides. Then photograph the exact areas where the hood meets the fenders, then with the photos and exacting measurements of the hood, adjust the file for the hood. Too much variable with the stretching needed to apply the wrap. That or contour cut some of those stripes and apply as a separate layer.

I've done the contour cut overlays many times to give a more seamless look.

mnapuran

Use template software, badwrap for example its not that expencive It will do the work for you, all you do is make the design and when its done It will lay It out for you to just print It out

Have you actually done this? Bad Wrap, etc will NOT do all the work for you. It's typically much more off then templates we build ourselves (vehicle dependent)

And it certainly won't do 3D transitions and can not take the curves, turns, bends, etc into account.