Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tricky Sans to ID - Need Help

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Bobby H, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Just like the subject says, I have a project involving a font that kind of looks like a cross between an extra condensed version of News Gothic and something else like Clearface. I can't figure out what it is. I tried the attached file at My Fonts "what the font" utility, but didn't get anything close to a match. TIA for any help.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

News Gothic Bold Extra Condensed

3. Bobby H

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    News Gothic Bold Extra Condensed is close, but not correct. This typeface is more curvy (less squared) and less monotone in stroke (greater degree of thick and thin parts).

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    My database of 40,000 fonts only has News Gothic Bold Extra Condensed as a match ... which on visual comparison definitely is not the correct font.

5. Bobby H

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Figured out what it was:

A very squished version of Adobe Sans MM -one of the basic fonts embedded into Adobe Acrobat.

Got the customer to send me a PDF. Bodoni Poster Compressed was the actual font, but it was not embedded into the PDF. And someone else sent a print of the PDF that way, with Adobe Sans MM used. Kinda had to wonder about that when the business card clearly showed what looked like Onyx rather than something in a compressed sans.

The situation scares me a little. If I wasn't so bent on figuring out what was going on with this font we may have ended up making an expensive sign with entirely wrong graphics.