• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tricky Sans to ID - Need Help

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Just like the subject says, I have a project involving a font that kind of looks like a cross between an extra condensed version of News Gothic and something else like Clearface. I can't figure out what it is. I tried the attached file at My Fonts "what the font" utility, but didn't get anything close to a match. TIA for any help.

Attachments

• StateBankThing.jpg
    StateBankThing.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 55

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
News Gothic Bold Extra Condensed is close, but not correct. This typeface is more curvy (less squared) and less monotone in stroke (greater degree of thick and thin parts).

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My database of 40,000 fonts only has News Gothic Bold Extra Condensed as a match ... which on visual comparison definitely is not the correct font.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Figured out what it was:

A very squished version of Adobe Sans MM -one of the basic fonts embedded into Adobe Acrobat.

Got the customer to send me a PDF. Bodoni Poster Compressed was the actual font, but it was not embedded into the PDF. And someone else sent a print of the PDF that way, with Adobe Sans MM used. Kinda had to wonder about that when the business card clearly showed what looked like Onyx rather than something in a compressed sans.

The situation scares me a little. If I wasn't so bent on figuring out what was going on with this font we may have ended up making an expensive sign with entirely wrong graphics.